AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Our CTR is high - what can we do to increase clicks?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We get a good CTR on our campaigns, but the number of clicks has been declining over the past 2 to 3 months. There hasn't been any great competitive change in the market that could account for the decrease in clicks. We use a lot of extensions on our ads, and our quality scores range from 6 to 10. What are some things we can or should do to increase clicks?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Our CTR is high - what can we do to increase clicks?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
So, have impressions dropped as well?

Did you create new expanded ads?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
HI

Can you check on network segment level, and see if drop is from google search or google search partners.
Try ETA ads which can help you in getting your clicks back.

Regards,
Manish

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Onbeta,

Additionally, if you have changed the bid strategy and now started bidding for higher position then there will be hike in the CPC and hence you will get fewer clicks and impressions with the same budget so that your budget lasts throughout the day(with standard ad delivery setting).

So, compare and analyse if there is a change in the ads position and the avg CPC. If both are rising then increase the campaign budget as well to get more clicks.
And If only avg CPC is rising then check if the QS is getting down.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thanks for your replies.

Rob, impressions have dropped as well. That was a good point - I never thought of that. Does this mean I need to add keywords?
I created expanded text ads, and they're performing a bit better than the old ads, but not enough to turn the trend around.

Manish, search partners has always been a very small percentage of total clicks - less than 5%, and mostly in the 2-3% range. Can't say there's much of a drop. The ETA ads aren't helping much.

Archit, our position is usually #1 or #2 - that has never changed. The budget is not an issue, as our biggest campaigns, which deliver the most conversions, haven't reached their monthly limits in quite some time.

After reading your responses and thinking about it some more, I believe I should expand keywords and test different ad copy.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
The next question is - how long have you been running AdWords? If it has been more than a year for the same keywords, look back in time and see if impressions dropped off a year ago as well. Many, many businesses have search query seasonality, often when you wouldn't expect it.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Try adding more keywords, as search trend is keep on changing over period of time, there might be new keywords which haven't added in your account and would bring back your impressions and clicks