Guide Me
star_border

Other search terms

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all.

About the "other search terms" in the search term report.

I know we aren't able to know what those search terms exactly are because of bla bla bla.

What would you guys do if you have an ad group where the percentage of "other search terms" comprises almost all search terms.

For example I have an ad group with 5000 impressions, out of which 4000 are marked as "other search terms".

Go figure :-)

Looking forward to get some advice.

Thanks and have a good evening

2 Expert replyverified_user

Other search terms

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Pieter T,

Unfortunately you can't have many options to do, but wait a bit patiently. Over time, some of the uncertainties may vanish, however, some may remain for good.

Best,

Lakatos

Other search terms

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Pieter T;

"Other search terms" refers to queries that might reveal sensitive information. So if those 4000 queries might reveal / imply sensitive info (e.g. Phone numbers, names, addresses, profession, medical condition, etc....), then  all of them will be consolidated into "other search terms"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Other search terms

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Pieter T,

If we dig even deeper, this is what you need to know. "Other search terms" are terms that triggered your ads and met these 2 criteria:

1. You didn't get any clicks on the term within the last 30 days from people who weren't blocking their referrer URLs.

2. They weren't searched for by a significant number of people.

It's also worth noting that data for searches in the last 8 hours is always in the "Other search terms" row. The specified period of time - 8 hours - is often times a bit elastic and you may also experience delays due to various additional reasons like synch-ing data servers.

Best,

Lakatos

Other search terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi and thanks both.

What would you guys do if 80% of the search terms are "other search terms".

Remove the keyword? In my case it's a broad match multiplier.

Thanks

Other search terms

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well... If the keywords convert, I would keep them regardless of the search queries which were matched with them;

If they do not convert / low CTR/ low QS, then also, it's about time to remove them regardless of the search queries Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Other search terms

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Impressions alone may not cause a search term to appear in the reports. What kind of CTR or click volume do you have for the adgroup?

Tom

Re: Other search terms

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,

Around 2%.

Other search terms

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

With a 2% CTR, if there are 100 rows of search terms, then all the terms which actually generated clicks are coming through the report. If there are fewer than 100 rows, then what are the top click generating search terms? Add those, and restrict the match type of the current KW(s). 

If the terms which are actually generating the clicks are actually added to the account/adgroup, then you can restrict the match type while still maintaining click volume. At that point the amount of unknown impressions should decline. Overall impression volume may decline as well, but as long as click volume remains consistent, then you're not actually losing anything.

Tom