AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Other ads in my account preventing my ad showing?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My keywords status for each keyword I have chosen for my ad says 'Eligible' but the ads are not displaying. The reason given for every keyword reads:

Your ad isn't being shown for this keyword because there may be other ads within your account that are ranked higher and have similar keywords.

But I don't have any other ads? This is the only ad in my account currently. I have one campaign. One ad group in the campain and one approved ad.

Can anyone suggest why am I getting this message?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Other ads in my account preventing my ad showing?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim,

I suggest using the ad preview and diagnostic tool:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/148778?hl=en

You seem to be using the speech bubble next to an ad and how that works is a bit different to the diagnostic tool. The speech bubble will take a random keyword from the ad group and see if that keyword triggers the ad. Now because there are other similar keywords in your ad group, and probably some have better QS than the one chosen at random the following happens in this psuedo test:

The randomly selected keyword is entered as a search query.
Adwords then matches a keyword in your account to the search query.
Another Keyword other than the one that was elected in step one gets triggers (it wins the internal pre auction 'competition')
And thus the selected keyword in step one does not trigger the ad and AdWords tell you this as seen in your message.

This does not necessarily mean that your ad is not running, just the keyword that was selected in step 1 is not triggering that ad, rather another keyword is.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim L
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

I created a new account. I configured the same advert with the same keywords. And they are now showing.

I think the old account in my client manager was somehow corrupted maybe?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Tim

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim,

I suggest using the ad preview and diagnostic tool:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/148778?hl=en

You seem to be using the speech bubble next to an ad and how that works is a bit different to the diagnostic tool. The speech bubble will take a random keyword from the ad group and see if that keyword triggers the ad. Now because there are other similar keywords in your ad group, and probably some have better QS than the one chosen at random the following happens in this psuedo test:

The randomly selected keyword is entered as a search query.
Adwords then matches a keyword in your account to the search query.
Another Keyword other than the one that was elected in step one gets triggers (it wins the internal pre auction 'competition')
And thus the selected keyword in step one does not trigger the ad and AdWords tell you this as seen in your message.

This does not necessarily mean that your ad is not running, just the keyword that was selected in step 1 is not triggering that ad, rather another keyword is.

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clynton,

Yes, I was using the speech bubble next to the keyword in the 'Status' column. I tried the ad preview tool and got this message for each keyword and phrase:

Displaying·ads right now? - No
Your ad isn't showing for this keyword right now. There are a number of reasons why this happens.

No further clues are given.

My bid and daily budget are ok. I have no other campaigns, ad groups or ads. Yet the 'What can I do?' link takes me to a page that says:

Keyword used by another ad

This keyword is already associated with at least one other ad in your account.

Very frustrating as I need to start advertising and getting some clicks.

Perhaps I should create a new ad words account in my client manager?

Thanks

Tim

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim,

I do not think creating a new account will solve the problem. Perhaps try using the trouble shooter, as there are (as the message says) a number of reason why this could be happening. Unfortunately at this stage without knowing what is actually happening in your account I will just be shooting in the dark. For example: have you entered your billing information? Is there ad scheduling active? There are a number of questions that need to be asked.

I suggest going through the trouble shooter and seeing if that helps. find it here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/1711301?hl=en

Good Luck. let me know how it goes
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim L
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton,

I created a new account. I configured the same advert with the same keywords. And they are now showing.

I think the old account in my client manager was somehow corrupted maybe?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Tim

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow, the same happened to me and is very frustrating.
Why if it's not a duplicated keyword issue it shows that message?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just found out that if you use singular and plural instances of a keyword, Google considers is a duplicate. All you have to do is remove them from the keyword list and the ads will run. I had the same issue and that resolved it.

Google will still show your ad for both even if you only have one in your keyword list.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you this was the answer I was looking for. I had the same problem but removed duplicates and it worked.