4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Organizing Keywords into Ad Groups by Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've seen a few posts that were close to what I have a question on - but not specifically.

I am splitting out my keywords by match type into separate ad groups within the same campaign. 

My reasoning for doing this is so that I can achieve higher CTR/quality score on my exact > phrase > broad keywords and also align the ad copy and landing pages more tightly. 

I've also decided to keep these ad groups in the same campaign so that it is easier to understand the performance of these keywords across match types as well as to keep them aligned thematically.

In addition, I'm tightly managing bids so that exact term bids > phrase by 15% or so or more and phrase > broad /broad modified by 15% or so or more, again so these match types don't compete.

What I'm having some trouble working out is the structure of the negative keywords in the strategy.

I am assuming that I need to have the exact and phrase terms as negatives within the broad ad group and the exact keywords as negative in the phrase ad group.

My question is this: Should I have broad as negative within my phrase/exact ad group and phrase as negative within my broad ad group and won't doing this essentially keep my ads from running at all because of conflicts?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Organizing Keywords into Ad Groups by Match Type

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Windstar,
i think You apply the right strategy for set up the campaigns & bidding point. But if you add negative broad match in exact or phrase adgroup you will lost all the impression of these adgroup. You don't need to add negative keywords in exact & phrase adgroup. You should wait phrase keywords search term and after that add negative in same adgoups.
Thanks,
Jitender

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Two points to note here;

To simplify, consider if you need at all phrase match (in many cases exact match does the work since includes closed variants)

The hierarchy goes the following :

You add exact as negative to pharse, and parase and exact as negatives to broad. This structure ensures that broad match  triggers the ad only for residual traffic, which is not matched to either exact or pharse

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Windstar C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

You have already got the best answer.Here I would like to explain some limitations of this approach.

Managing the negative keywords are very difficult in this scenario. In spite of adding all Phrase Match Keywords as negative in Broad Match Campaigns and Exact match keywords as negative in Phrase campaigns. But stills there are a large list of search terms (Mis-spell, singulars, Plurals/ with spacing) that can triggers your ads on any Match type.

E.g:- If you find that "buy new cars" ( that triggers ads from Exact Match [buy new car]) does not performing, so you add this keyword [buy new cars] as a negative in Exact match type of campaigns. 

Then It starts triggering ads from "Broad Match (buy new car) /Phrase Match "buy new car" campaigns/adgroups , as you have not added "buy new cars" as a negative in broad/phrase campaigns. 

Due to this I avoid this approach and keep all match type in one campaigns. Once you live the campaigns, you will find large number of search terms that should be added in Exact Match Campaigns, Phrase and Broad Match Campaigns. If you have small campaigns or limited keywords  then it is a good approach.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Windstar,
I think Rakesh complete the points that i missed out. So this is the best way for optimization of such type set up or campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I agree with @Rakesh Kumar on this.

However, you  said that you use tightly themed ad-copies for exact mach keywords.This is the reason I would use  a strategy of separating ad- groups by match types. Otherwise, go with the classic strategy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hello Windstar,

Apart from the already great advice that you have here. I would just like to recommend that if you want split test your matchtypes, instead of splitting them based on adgroups, why don't you try and split them up in to different campaigns?

Splitting them up in to separate campaigns would give you much more flexibility with respect to testing each matchtype, using separate budgets, bids along with the ease of negating each matchtype from each other on a campaign level.

I have tested this approach in my account and have been able to test out themes based on matchtypes successfully.

Do let us know the approach that you take on this.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"