Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Optimizing position of keyword within ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

It is my understanding that having the exact keyword in my ad that a searcher enters for his or her query makes my ad more relevant. But does it matter in what position the keyword appears in my ad. Specifically, I would like to know if having the keyword in one of the two Headlines is deemed to be more relevant than if it appears at the bottom of the ad in the Description.

Thanks,

Kit Landis

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Kit,

In general, utilizing the keyword in the headline will be more impactful than in the description (although it doesn't hurt to have it in both places!) You are correct that this approach can improve ad relevance, assuming that it appears naturally and contextually as opposed to blatant keyword stuffing. Improved ad relevance leads to better click-through-rates and lower costs-per-click at a given position. I would start by placing the keyword in one of the headlines but recommend testing iterations of the copy with the keyword in the description instead. Review the CTR between the ads after a period of time to determine the true answer.

Hope that helps,

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher L,

I am not an expert in advertising psychology, however, those who are say that the vast majority of users read English text ads from the top left to the bottom right while their attention slowly diminishes during that process. A possible interpretation may be that the closer the term is to the top left the more attention it triggers and the higher CTR it generates. Finally higher CTR leads to higher QS over time.

Best,

Lakatos