Guide Me
star_border

Optimize existing campaigns for calls

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there!

I have my current campaigns performing well going to landing pages. 

However, now I want to generate more calls as well. I have call extension (own number).

From what I've been reading it looks like this is what needs to be done for calls to originate from the mobile devices.

1. Have mobile optimized ads - I make two copies, one regular and the other ad selected as "Mobile"
  2. Have mobile optimized call extensions - I have my own number & same as above, have two copies with one of them "Mobile"
  3. Have mobile optimized landing pages - On the landing pages, I have a "Click To Call" buttons everywhere and also forms when you scroll down
  4. Increase bids for mobile placements - Currently setting that to 50% 
  5. Optimize call extension to show by business hours - Done

Am I right? If yes, what else do I need to do to increase number of calls?

Thanks for reading!

Re: Optimize existing campaigns for calls

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mark,

You could try using some call to action messaging in your mobile ads such as 'Call Now From Your Mobile'. Also, if you haven't already, trying implementing some call tracking software that can record the calls from your website as goals in Analytics - Try 'Call Tracks' or 'Response Tap'. If you're not already doing this it will help you to focus your budget on the keywords that are driving the phone calls and pause keywords that aren't converting. It will also help you research new negative keywords to prevent your adverts from showing for terms that do not convert.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

All the best,
Spike

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Mark,

Why don't you try to put any discounts, running promotions or even a price, that might grab the people to click on your ad.
Also you can try to select an option in the call extension that it says "Just the phone number".
your phone number should appear in the headline.

Give it a try and see if the calls increased or not.

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Spike,

Thank you for responding to this.
I am using Call tracking as you suggested. But more importantly, I would like to know in terms of Adwords related optimization, and more technical (out of the scope of things like CTA) if there is anything left out?

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Kirk!

How would I distinguish if the clicks to this phone number are being clicked?
Because I see two scenarios:

Desktop ad shows the number, and that is manually called - I can track that through the call tracking app.
Mobile ad shows the number, and that is clicked to dial - how do I track that?