1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Optimization Techniques for Remarketing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have recently seen a dip in my remarketing campaign performance. I have not changed the codes or any part of the website..so everything is working very smoothly from that part. However, when I saw my placements I did see a lot of irrelevant websites.

Now, I am in a dilemma. Do I exclude these websites? If so, won't I be diverting from the main agenda of remarketing - that is serving my ads to the users where ever they go on the web? Has any one tried excluding placements? Can they tell me how did it work for them?

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Optimization Techniques for Remarketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
In my experience, simply "serving to users wherever they go on the web" is a bad approach.

You need to get more granular and organize your audiences.

Don't just remarket to visitors, remarket to groups that performed a specific action.

The obvious one is someone who visited your contact form or added an item to your shopping cart.

Another one might be users who visited 10+ pages on your site. Customize the message to them.

The problem isn't the sites your remarketing ads are appearing on, it's the message and the audience grouping. That's YOUR responsibility.

Don't be creepy, be clever.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
haha..I am all against spamming! So here is the deal. I am targeting a very specific set of audience; Audience who have shown an interest in product 'A'. Also, I have checked Analytics and observed that purchase cycle for this product 'A' is very long. Hence, the use of Remarketing. So to sum it up I am targeting a very specific audience against being a creep. Also, I think I didn't mention this before but I have tried to use Interest Categories too, to show my ads on relevant pages. However, I still see some very random web pages as placements. So essentially my question is do I exclude them? Or is it going against the principle of Remarketing.
- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Neeti: If the placements is not working in favor of your campaign you can always exclude them. I generally keep excluding placement receive large number of impressions and very few click or large number of impressions and no click in order to maintain CTR.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NeetiGhildiyal
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Neeti!

I guess - and suggest - you have a dedicated campaign for your re-marketing .

In campaign settings Display Network, choose "specific reach".

In your ad group, display network tab (and another step down in the heirarchy: placements tab): add excluded placements.

But, I must say, if those placements are where your audience (potential customers...) go - think one more time about why you wouldn´t show your ads there (reason for which could be: extremely low CTR, too high CPC, low quality clicks, an environment in which you don´t want your brand to be seen...)

Base your decisions on sound statistics! 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author NeetiGhildiyal
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Neeti,

I think you should NOT be excluding these placements. Simply because remarketing is ment to follow your user. If your users are going to irrelevant sites, you need to follow them! 

If you block these websites, you are essentially doing topic targeting(showing up on websites that are closely related to your product)..

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Shweta

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi Neeti,

There are some great responses here, thanks for helping out here everybody. Using the tools available via Analytics and functions in the account like custom combinations can help you make the most of your remarketing efforts.

But also be sure to have a variety of ad creatives in your campaign, this will mean that you will be able to make the most of all the varied inventory on the display network and target your customers more effectively. 

Hope this helps. 

A. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Keep up the good work!

Is there an option of following only those visitors who've spent a minimum of 2 mins ( during their last visit ) on my site.?

This will help me filter out low engagement visitors.

Thanks

Ankit

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Neeti,

If you are gauging the dip in performance by the CTR or conversion rate there could be an easy explanation.  You may see a dip in the performance of your remarketing campaigns because as the list grows the members are more and more exposed to your ads.  If the cookie duration is long eventually you will have quite a large list of people being served ads for a long duration which builds impressions and not necessarily clicks because they have seen enough of your ads.  Hence the apparent decline in performance.

You may want to try to use some frequency capping to cap the number of times each member is served your ads.  You can modify the impression cap to a certain number of impressions per day/week/month and per campaign or adgroup for plenty of control.  See the Campaigns SETTINGS section for the Frequency Capping section.

With a long buying cycle you may also want to consider the messaging, fresh image ads or a different offer with a stronger call to action might be a good idea to get them engaged.  I would suggest that you keep a strong branded message but also a strong call to action.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'