AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Optimising KW list - critique my strategy...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have had my campaign running for a while with conversion data and need to spring clean the list. The goal of the campaign is to bring in a decent amount of volume but at a reasonable CPA.

Here is how Im gonna do it - Im wondering if its the best way:

Over a 3 month period arrange my keyword list by Cost / per conversion. Then make it so that the cost/conversion is increasing. Then I have tons of KW which had 0 conversions. I go to the final page of kw and delete the most expensive kw (way above my CPA). Then as the CPA gets reasonable - I leave those kw. Following this - there are many KW that have had 0 conversions over the 3 months - but some cost. For all these KW - I delete them. I figure - no conversion over 3 months - not worth having - correct?

Ok so now I have my refined list. Next I go to the dimensions tab and find out the 'actual' search terms coming up from my KW list. Again for KW that have no conversions - I make them NEGATIVE. 

Next - do I move any high performing KW into my main list as 'ADDED'? My concern about this is - will Google automatically make the added KW a [Broad Match]? Hence Ill get a load more search terms I didnt ask for...? What is the opinion on this?

Thanks for any thoughts...

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Optimising KW list - critique my strategy...

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 17
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi SteveWGoogle,

Your strategy of deleting all non-converting keywords sounds tempting but I would analyze the search funnel report before doing that as many of these keywords could be assisting keywords. Eg you start from broader keywords until you know what you want and then search for that specific product/brand at the end of the cycle which will then be the converting keyword.

More info here:
http://adwords.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-reports-adwords-search-funnels.html
http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722023

Karl

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Steve,

Click on the Keywords tab and find the Keyword details dropdown. There you go with the Search Terms.

The advice you got is good and 3 months sounds reasonable.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi SteveWGoogle,

I would make a suggestion on this part "Again for KW that have no conversions - I make them NEGATIVE"

I would only add them as negative with exact or phrase match. They are getting impressions and may be related to well performing keywords which you do not want to jeopardize. It's very tough to tell without looking but I think/hope you understand where I'm going here.

Just use caution with your negatives as you add them, broad match negative can cause unintended effects.

Also, if your business is by chance seasonal, I would perhaps suggest that you review some of the keywords beyond 3 months.  If it is not seasonal, then I'm with Lakatos, definitely use your search terms reports and your plan sounds reasonable to me.

You may want to give your ads a onceover too.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I go to the final page of kw and delete the most expensive kw (way above my CPA). - I wouldn't delete these keywords, I would rather see if you can improve their quality score by creating more tightly knit ad groups and matching ad copy, meanwhile just lower the bids on these terms.  You may miss out on good kw's if you delete rather than optimize.

Following this - there are many KW that have had 0 conversions over the 3 months - but some cost. For all these KW - I delete them. I figure - no conversion over 3 months - not worth having - correct? - I wouldn't delete these keyword either.  Instead you should take your average conversion rate and come up with a click minimum that you want a kw to reach before pausing or deleting.  For example if your avg conv rate is 1%, then it would require 100 clicks just to make one sale.  I typically suggest allowing a click minimum equal to 3-5 sales before deleting, but if the kw has a very high CPA then you can reduce the bid and let it run until you reach your click minimum..

Next I go to the dimensions tab and find out the 'actual' search terms coming up from my KW list. Again for KW that have no conversions - I make them NEGATIVE - You should use the Keywords Tab and the See Selected Search Term option to view your search term reports.  I only add kw's as negatives if they are completely irrelevant, which you can pretty easily determine by doing a google search and seeing what organic/paid results show up.  If it's not relevant then add as a negative, but if it simply doesn't have conversions I would personally suggest adding all of those keywords as exact match types in their correct ad groups and running with a fair starting bid.

My concern about this is - will Google automatically make the added KW a [Broad Match]? - Yes Google will add them as a broad if you just use the Add Keyword option, but you have the option of changing the match type.  I personally export search term reports to .CSV and manipulate in excel and then use a keyword convertor tool like http://adwordskeywordconverter.com/ to generate the correct match type.

Hope this helps!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks both...really helpful...

PPCBoss - I understand what you are saying...when I make the KW negative by checking their box - does it offer me the option to choose the match type?

Also - when I add search terms into the main list - does it give me the option to choose match type? I dont want to have to note the terms then go back into the list and do it by hand...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When you use the add kw or add negative kw option in the Adwords interface you will have the option to add brackets or " " to establish the match type.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Jamescraggs - thanks or your reply - landed as I was writing...

Ok you have complicated things!

I guess some of your concerns I understand - but it depends on where I draw the line eg in the deleting. I am not planning on deleting any kw that gives me decent volume. If there is a KW with decent volume - I would reduce the CPC bid. The high CPA kw to be deleted would be ones with low volume...however - I will also consider lowering the bid...

CLick minimum. I will consider this...thing is - there is a pretty lengthy list....but what you say makes sense...

Adding exact match type kw - Im not so sure about this...it seems to do the opposite of what Im trying to do as that will suddenly introduce a load of underperforming kw into the main list to cost money?

Thanks for the advice

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Adding exact match type kw - Im not so sure about this...it seems to do the opposite of what Im trying to do as that will suddenly introduce a load of underperforming kw into the main list to cost money? - If you are already paying for these keywords as broad variations in your search term reports then by adding them as exact match kw's into new tightly knit ad groups with specific ad copy you should improve the quality score and lower the CPC of those keywords.  In my opinion harvesting long tail keywords from search term reports is one of the absolute best way to expand your keyword lists and find niche keywords that perform at your accepted CPA level.  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

ok thanks man - I will make sure to add in...

but I can harvest the performing long tail kw which have conversions - do I need to bother importing the mass of kw with no conversions over the 3 month period?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

For me it boils down to time management.  If the keywords haven't met their click minimum in 3 months it may be because they are very low volume, or it could be because they have a low QS or a low bid and aren't participating in the auctions frequently enough.  I just urge you not to focus solely on the head terms at the expense of the long tail.  Those low impression terms may not drive a lot of click volume but when you aggregate them over the course of 3-6-12 months they start adding up and can really differentiate your campaigns from the competitors and lower your overall CPA.