6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Opportunities suggestions - agreement or disagreement

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is directed to my colleges managing multiple small/mid size campaigns for service industry based clients. (Like AC Repair, Plumbers, Electricians etc. etc.)

How often do you find yourself agreeing with the "opportunities" suggestions made by Google's system? Most times, I find the suggestions for additional keywords / ad groups are of only marginal relevance to the demographic were targeting or in many cases would open the door to a demographic we specifically want to exclude.

In short, how often have you set your own skills and experience aside in favor of following the automated adwords suggestions?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Opportunities suggestions - agreement or disagreement

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello DMSInc,

personally I never use Opportunities tab and I discourage everyone I know to use it, because like you said it's giving your mostly non-relevant ideas and sometimes I would even say: ''garbage'' that might just flood your account.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
This is a nice question;
I should say that I do look at the opportunities tab from time to time, but rarely apply any in the campaign.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi There,

Same as Moshe, I do check opportunities suggested but rarely apply. I don't add keywords from opportunities - either I find them very general or non relevant. But I sometimes (rarely) do get some theme ideas to add new adgroups. I pick the idea and do my keyword research based on that using keyword planner.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I also agree with Neha and Moshe.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

First, I wouldn't accept any automated, machine-generated suggestion that didn't seem sensible. Google does a good job with their automation but in the end--the program making the suggestions is still just a software program. Human insight and common sense are always necessary.

Having said that, I do check the Opportunities tab and sometimes do try keywords that the program suggests. Sometimes they are keywords I hadn't considered before, sometimes they are ones I thought about but didn't immediately test for whatever reason. Sometimes I try splitting Ad Groups into smaller keyword lists, as per a suggestion. Sometimes I experiment with different bids.

In the end, the Opportunities are suggestions. Things that the data suggests might be appropriate and might improve performance. Whether or not I decide to implement the suggestions is my choice, but I do look at them and use them as "a second set of eyes" in client accounts.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*