Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Opinion on Keyword List

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm still trying to wrap my head around best practises when built keyword lists and I am curious of the follow 2 examples, which you find superior & why:

Keyword List #1:

+used +trucks

+used +pickup

Keyword List #2

used trucks

used truck for sale

used pickup trucks

used truck inventory

used trucks in bc

My dilemma lays with whether or not a more detailed (and broad) keyword list is ideal or if using a more concise list wins the debate. 

Any and all insights is appreciated!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Opinion on Keyword List

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Meg T,

List #1 is better, but neither is optimal. BMM helps restrict search queries that would trigger your ad for unrelated searches. Both keywords in list #1 are good, but I would add those from list #2 as BMM also. Then I would split the campaign into at least 2 ad groups, one for trucks and one for pickups.

The problem with List #2 is that it's all broad match. 'Used pickup trucks' as broad match could trigger your ad with any search query that includes "used" or "pickup" or "trucks". Using BMM prevents that from happening.

Best of Luck1

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

To follow with Pete, using all the broad match types keywords like you have in List 2 is going to attract many irrelevant queries as well in addition to relevant ones. So it's better to go for List 1 and you can expand that by using more restricted match types like Phrase and Exact matches. Although more restrictive match types mght attract less traffic  but that traffic would be of higher quality as compared to the general broad match keywords.

Read more on building best keywords list here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453981?hl=en

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you guys, I appreciate your time.

While I completely understand the benefit of staying away from board keywords, focusing on the BMM, phrase & exact, to prevent irrelevant clicks, I am finding it difficult to find the logic in building out extensive keyword lists if something like +used +trucks will pick up queries such as: used trucks for sale, used truck inventory, etc.

Thoughts?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Meg,

You can prevent those kind of scenarios by adding exact match or Phrase match negative keywords.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meg T
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The logic is to have a different bid for more relevant variations of  +used +trucks  because it is not profitable to have such a high bid on a BMM as to obtain a high avg. position for all variations it convers.

Let's say for example that this 2 word BMM keyword gets you clicks for 100 variations and 90 out of 100 variations do not generate conversions for you . If you pay 1 click for each variation you may get 10 conversions and 90 clicks paid with no return.

You want to rank higher for certain variations whigh generate conversions for you, not to have a single bid for a single keyword which triggers hundreds of variations.

For example let's say that the variation used trucks price 2014 is a variation close to the intent of buying, you want that variation as an exact or phrase keyword with a higher bid to get a higher Ad position.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Meg,

Few things to address here:-

1. In case you are using phrase and exact matches, there is advanced option of plurals, misspellings, and other close variants as well. So to restrict these match types, you can disable that option so that only limited queries related to your business/service are tracked by Google AdWords.

2. Also sometimes it might happen that keyword in a particular match type doesn't work well, so you might have to switch to a different match type to test that keyword.

I would encourage you to read this reference where it is explained very well how similar keywords are matched with search terms: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Pankaj