2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Only one ad group getting impressions in multi group campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all. My client offers a variety of related services, and I made an ad group for each of them. They all have different keywords, text descriptions, etc - but other than that, I followed the same process for creating them, so they're basically composed/structured identically. For some seemingly random reason, only one of the ad groups is performing, and has 98% of the impressions and clicks - the other four aren't doing much at all. Any one have any ideas what might be causing this? The group that is performing isn't even one of the more popular services, according to the client. I was thinking of spilting the campaign into 5 campaigns, each with an ad group. This is ok, right? Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Only one ad group getting impressions in multi group campaign

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Roger

To start with kindly check the search volume of the keywords that you have used in the non performing adgroups. You can even try to use modified broad match for all those keywords.
Check your quality score and bidding as well.

Thanks
Aritra Mukherjee

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Let's start by checking the search terms report to see which keywords were marched to the search queries.

See detailed instructions here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

My "feeling" : you are using broad match and the keywords are competing.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Roger,
As Moshe said, I feel same - you are using broad keywords? And as you said you have five adgroups and one getting all impressions even non being popular. I think you have lot of keywords in single adgroup. And the structure is not close knit. Creating five campaigns is not a solution according to me unless all five are different products - instead bifurcate keywords in more tight adgroups. what match type are you using? I hope you are not using one word keyword etc.?

Search term report will give you clear idea on queries which got click like Moshe said. Please let us know some more insights may be example (if possible) how you structured your current campaign.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hey Roger,

Have you added ad group level negative keywords? If you have no/few impressions in the other adgroups, there is a chance you may have added negative keywords that block your ads.
Please check this using the ad diagnosis tool (in the top navigation).

If you have just created these campaigns - could you check the status of your ads? Are some of them eligible to show? Still under review? or disapproved for some reason?

Also, could you tell us what the "status" column next to your keywords say...
"Low search volumes etc..??

Are your keyword bids too low for those adgroups? since you mentioned you do have a few impressions.... but they are obviously not enough for the popular service you are advertising for. Which means there could be more competition on those keywords and your bids may not be enough. Also, you could have a look at what your average positions are.
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!