AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Only Advertiser and Bidding Below FIrst Page Estimates - What Happens?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does Google simply not show the ad, even if it is relevant, or is it shown anyways? In my example, I compared clicks, sales, and earnings to determine I should only be paying $0.33 per click, while the first page bid estimate is $1 plus. I am going to find out anyways, but what will happen when I switch to manual bidding and drop my max CPC to 0.33 since I am the only advertiser? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Franklin W
September 2015

Re: Only Advertiser and Bidding Below FIrst Page Estimates - What Happ

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Franklin W,

Most likely, if you bid below the first page estimate your impressions will be limited, even if no other advertisers appear on page 1. It's based on the expected click-through-rate. If a certain keyword has been used by other advertisers with little success, the cost to place your ad with that keyword will be high. Google would rather show no ads on a page than show ads no one clicks on. That's what Google calls "low relevancy", Showing ads of low relevancy produces a poor user experience, and a good user experience is Google's prime directive.

If the keyword is broad match, you will still get impressions, and you could end up on the first page. If this is happening, run a search terms report on those keywords and see what search queries trigger your add. Add phrase and/or exact match keywords for the ones that perform well. Add negative phrase and/or exact match keywords for the ones that don't work so well.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Franklin W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Franklin W,

Most likely, if you bid below the first page estimate your impressions will be limited, even if no other advertisers appear on page 1. It's based on the expected click-through-rate. If a certain keyword has been used by other advertisers with little success, the cost to place your ad with that keyword will be high. Google would rather show no ads on a page than show ads no one clicks on. That's what Google calls "low relevancy", Showing ads of low relevancy produces a poor user experience, and a good user experience is Google's prime directive.

If the keyword is broad match, you will still get impressions, and you could end up on the first page. If this is happening, run a search terms report on those keywords and see what search queries trigger your add. Add phrase and/or exact match keywords for the ones that perform well. Add negative phrase and/or exact match keywords for the ones that don't work so well.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome. I will try that out, thank you.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Franklin,

Make sure you have the right set of keywords. Once sorted with the Search terms and negatives if you still are below first page even on exact match keywords, then you need to improve the Quality score making it more relevant for Google to show your ads on first page. You can also try increasing the bids a little to get more impressions which can later convert into sales.