AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Only 50% impressions share on Keyword Planner, but 1.1 Avg. Position

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an exact match keyword. 

QS is 8, Where Landing page experience and expected CTR are above average, but ad relevance is below average.

in the Keyword planner tool, my impression share says 50%. Why isn't it close to 100%, if my avg. position for this keyword is 1.1?

Should I split this keyword from the campaign into a new ad group and write a more relevant ad, to increase my impression share? should I really do a change even though my overall QS is 8?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Only 50% impressions share on Keyword Planner, but 1.1 Avg. Position

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jay

A few things to note-

Your average position only takes into account the ads that have seen impressions. So you have an average position of 1.1, but that is for ads that have been shown on Google. In other words, you could have a 1% impression share and still have an average position of 1.1.

Writing new ad copy for that keyword is a good place to start, especially since Google is telling you the ad relevance is low. If you need to pull that keyword out into its own ad group or campaign even, then I would do that. The QS might drop at first, but will likely go back up pretty quickly depending on the search volume of that keyword.

Lastly, I would recommend puling in the impression share columns when youre on the campaign, ad group, and keyword tab. It will give you a pretty good diagnosis of whats going on and what you can do about it.

Hope this helps!

Re: Only 50% impressions share on Keyword Planner, but 1.1 Avg. Position

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
A better metric is the exact match impression share: the estimate of "available impressions" - the denominator) is small compared to the value of "impression share."
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’