AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

One of my other ads showing for this keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running an exact match campaign, and the keyword in question is not duplicated - only appears in one ad group.  How can "one of my other ads is showing for this keyword" be the case???

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: One of my other ads showing for this keyword?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

It does not necessarily indicate that you have duplicate keywords, it simply means that there is another keyword(s) in your account which is ranked higher than the one in question. If you have another similar keyword in the account which has a better QS and/or you are bidding higher on it, you may come across such a diagnosis message.

Why does it happen?

AdWords picks the keyword which is most relevant to user's query and has better score than other keyword in your account. 

If it is with not many keywords, you can ignore it and can adjust your bids/matchtypes accordingly. However, if is happening with most of the keywords, there's problem with your campaign structure. Your campaigns/adgroups may not be themed properly. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Ratan-Jha

That would make sense in a broad-match campaign, but this campaign is exact-match only. I do have a broad match campaign running simultaneously however, but none of the similar keywords have a better QS (currently 8/10 for kw in question) nor am I bidding higher on broad match.

Any other theories here?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Andrew C,

Supposing you have two different campaigns/adgroups for similar keywords.

A is for broad match and B is for Exact Match.  If yes, add all your exact match keywords from campaign/adgroup B to  campaign/adgroup A as negative keywords. It will make sure your broad match keywords are not conflicting with the exact ones. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your ideas Ratan-Jha, definitely makes sense. I'm going one step further and just pausing the broad match completely to see what happens. I'll post back with results.

Thank you,

Andrew

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Andrew,

Typically recommending use "broad-to-narrow" strategy. It is potential problem arise when advertiser using similar type keywords in campaign/ Ad Groups, So Keep Narrow you targeting by using exact targeting. Review the search terms report to monitor which keyword variations and match type that triggered your ads. Find out how relevant these search term in particular ad groups.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew,

I'm having trouble understanding Clal Lodh's response. There's little point to reviewing exact match search terms. Yes, they could included variations, but only based on the exact match. You will not expand long tail or even short tail keywords that way.

If you have the same keyword in broad match campaign and in exact match campaign and if the QS is the same and if the Max Bid is the same, AdWords will generally pick the more restrictive match type. The system will adhere to this most when all match types are in the same AdGroup, and somewhat less when the keywords are in different AdGroups and even less when they are in different campaigns. That's where the negative keywords come into play.

How's the performance of your broad match campaign? If you are getting good and profitable results, you might want to keep it running. The main benefit of running separate campaigns by match type is the ability to set different budgets based on match type. You may want to lower the budget for the broad match rather than pause it. That way you still get keyword candidates for phrase and/or exact match.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here's what happened - I shut off all keywords in other campaigns that was anything similar to my target kw. Now the diagnostic bubble no longer says "one of my other ads is showing for this keyword" but it now says ad rank too low. I'm guessing this was the case all along - although my kw has a QS of 8, bid must still be too low.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Follow up again - now the "one of my other ads is showing for this keyword" message is back....no idea what's happening here. There are no other advertisers showing up in the auction for this particular keyword, so perhaps Google is restricting Imp share to nearly nothing for some reason??