AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

One for the experts - Excluding converting users

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As a repeat business, we don't really want to be paying for returning users coming through high costing generics.

To prevent our ads from showing, we created an audience list for anyone who is a customer or repeat customer in GA. We then imported this into Adwords and added this audience list as an ad group exclusion.

Easy right?

Google Analytics however shows no shift in the user type coming through theses campaigns.

The set up looks fine to me and Google have said they can't seem to see any issues with the process, they have offered very little help with the analysis.

If I want to up-weight on certain RLSA campaigns however, Google doesn't seem to have any trouble with finding this audience and getting more spend away -_-

Anyone have any ideas / same experiences? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone? Any ideas would be really useful!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jack,

I am not quite sure if I got the issue here. You said you have created a remarketing list of converted audiences and excluded them too, so that they don't see your ad. What is the challenge thereafter? Are you saying that this strategy is not working?

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Yes, the problem is that GA shows absolutely no drop in existing customers coming through our Paid Search campaigns.

It would seem that the ads are still being served for some reason.

Jack