Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

One ad in the ad group has higher avg. position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have an ad group that has one keyword in exact match type. There are four ads in the ad group. For some reason, one ad has a much higher avg. position than the other ads. The same ad appears in several other ad groups, and in all of them it always gets a higher avg. position (it can be in position 4 while the others are in 8). All the ads lead to the same LP. Does someone know what the reason for it might be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: One ad in the ad group has higher avg. position

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Iddo,

This may be a very weird situation or not. Could you perhaps give some more context? For example, what number of impressions are we talking here? Are your ads set to rotate evenly? Is it that much of a discrepancy in every ad group, if not how much difference are we talking? How many other ad groups are we talking?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi;
What is your rotating setting?
My recommendation: switch to rotate evenly.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

My ad rotation was already set to rotate indefinitely. The ad group has 5,404 impressions. 

It happened to me with at least ten more ad groups - in every ad group I have 4 ads, and only one of them (always the same one) has an avg. position that is better by at least 3-4 positions than the other ads.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hi Iddo

Ad position is determined by Ad rank. Ad rank is Quality score x bid. Since bid is the same (single keyword), quality score must be different.

Quality score = CTR x Ad relevancy x landing page

Since landing pages are the same, it must be one of the other two. So this particular ad has a better CTR or a better relevancy to the keyword than the other ads. (if it is positioned higher) My guess would be CTR, the ad is just more appealing to searchers?

Ken

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If the ads are set to rotate indefinitely, there should not be a significant change in "impression ratio" (among the ads).
I agree with Ken, that in this case,  the better performing ad has a better (i.e. more appealing) ad-copy, thus, getting a better CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi iddo,

MosheTLV and Ken, are onto something here. While you are able to see you Quality score for a keyword in your account. This quality score is calculated for ecah and every auction and this calculation is used to determine your ad rank. So a better performing ad, even though your settings are to evenly show your ads, will get a better position as it will have a higher expected CTR at the time of the auction.

I am actually glad you asked this question as it has made for an interesting thought experiment. Ad testing may have to adjust for position. I have never considered before a skewing of CTR by ad position. I assumed that the rotate indefinitely setting would be random ad positioning, in that if your average ad postion was 1.5 for that adgroup then all ads whould fall around that number in a normal distribution. This, however, is clearly not the case and future ad testing may have to consider adjustments based on ad position during test. Will look into it some more.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

Thank you for your time. The problem is that many times the CTR of this ad is lower than the CTR of the other ads in the ad group. So now you might say that the 'Ad relevancy' is causing the difference in the ad position, but the text in the ads is similar (including the display URL), so I assume that their 'Ad relevancy' is the same.
Do you have any other ideas?

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Iddo,

That's a bit weird.

You're saying that an ad with a similar ad text but positioned higher (= lower avg position number) has a much smaller CTR than other ads that are positioned below it. (= higher avg position number)

Everything else being the same, ads positioned higher (so lower avg. position number) should get a higher CTR.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I agree with Ken. Relevancy is first and foremost determined by CTR