AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

One ad has lower average position in ad group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

One of my ads is consistently showing in a lower average position than the other three within the same ad group.

Over the last 30 days this ad's average position has been 5.4, whereas the other ads are averaging 2.3, 2.2 and 2.1. The 2.2 and 2.1 ads are mobile preferred. Under the campaign settings the ads are set to 'rotate indefinitely: show lower performing ads more evenly with higher performing ads and do not optimize'.

The conversion rate is way lower on the 5.4 ad so I'd like to work out what I'm not doing asap!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: One ad has lower average position in ad group

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sheena,

If you are rotating the ads evenly for indefinite time period, it straight away means that AdWords system is going to distribute the ads and show them across the whole day, whether any one ad performs better or worse.

My opinion would be if you have gathered good amount of data and still one of the ad is performing low with a low conversion rate, why not pause it and try something else with a little different wording in terms of call to action or any other words change. 

Another option is to switch from ads rotation evenly to optimize for conversions. Doing this would help in showing more often the ad copies which have good conversion rate in the past.

Also, for the mobile preferred ads, AdWords is going to prefer them over the mobile devices more often compared to other regular ads.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understand that different ad copy is going to have an effect on the conversion rate but my issue is with the ad delivery.

The conversion rates won't have an impact on ad position on it's current delivery setting. The average position should dictated by ad rank (max CPC bid x QS). Given that all of the ads are being triggered by the same keywords and bids, the position the ads are achieving should be pretty uniform across the ad group. This isn't what I'm seeing and I don't understand why.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sheena,

Your ad position depends upon number of factors irrespective of which ad rotation setting you have selected. Let's say one of your ad is consistently not performing upto the mark and Ad Rank is low (because of various facts like Landing Page, ad relevancy, CTR etc...) for one particular ad in an ad group, then due to the ad rotation settings that you have selected (i.e. rotate evenly) AdWords system will continue to show low performing ad in a low position. That's why this particular setting is not suggested especially when you are looking to drive more conversions, more ROI for your account.

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Sheena H I think the key point here is that the two Ads with the higher positions are mobile preferred.  It's very common to find bids - and therefore usually positions - for mobiles very different from desktop/tablets.

To put it simply, with your Max CPC for desktops that places the Ads around position #5.4 whereas for mobiles they achieve positions around #2.2.

In the situation you describe, the Ad rotation settings are not truly "even" since only the mobile-preferred Ads will display on mobile devices.  The "desktop" Ad therefore never has an opportunity to appear on mobiles and never records these higher positions.

If you want the desktop Ad to appear higher (and you probably should) you'll need to increase the Max CPC of the Keywords then apply a negative bid adjustment for mobile devices.  For example, if you current bid is $1, for desktops this isn't enough to achieve a higher position, so the bid has to increase, but for mobiles it's achieving position #2.2, which may be fine.  So, if you determine that the bid for desktops has to be, say, $1.50, to ensure the mobiles are still bidding at $1 you need to apply a negative bid adjustment of -33%.

More details on bid adjustments here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, thanks for replying.

You are of course correct about the two mobile ads and I possibly shouldn't have bothered mentioning them in my question because their performance isn't comparable. You'll see, however, that there is another ad that is identical in every way apart from copy that is averaging 2.3. It's consistently outperformed the 5.4 ad over 30 days (and has continued to do so over the past few days since I posted the question). I just don't get it!