5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Odd Queries in Search Term Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone noticed odd queries from your phrase or BMM? I've given up on the 'other search terms' quest, along w/ the queries followed by true/false because I can never get a solid answer. But this one really bothers me. Searches THAT YOU KNOW no human inputed. Like the long tail queries.

In a 6 mo span, a 10 word query was searched for 2500 times and clicked on thrice (2 word BMM). There's even a conversion apparently. So what bothers me? This is a modification of what the search looks like, w/ out naming the exact products:

Brand model series name juicer regular container color tea makers. 

2500 people search for the longest way possible to describe this juicer (fifth highest search term for this product). And then added tea makers at the end? No I'm sorry. Nobody inputed that.

How can I prevent these, I'm guessing links, that send people to google with the query already inputed which exposes them to my ad? Getting away from BMM and Phrase seems like such a drastic measure. We make conversions on weird queries all the time, but that one is fishy.  Love google and adwords. This is just a minor frustration.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mr_Manager
September 2015

Re: Odd Queries in Search Term Report

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mr_Manager,

If you are getting that many searches a month for any query that does not perform well, add it as negative exact match to the ad group or to the campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mr_Manager,

If you are getting that many searches a month for any query that does not perform well, add it as negative exact match to the ad group or to the campaign.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

What you are seeing is probably categories at search partners:

http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/when-a-search-click-isnt-a-search-click/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for the answer.

David, that article makes perfect sense in regards to what I'm seeing.

Deadhead, I'll just make the decision whether it's worth it to keep the category string keyword from the search partner site, or negative it.

Again, appreciate the help.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

or negative it.

Don´t know if that works, if its helps I mean (because that is not an actual a search query), it should, but maybe someone could confirm?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

you can now see the keyword that triggered it (==> view search terms => columns ==> customize columns ==> attributes ==> keyword  

you can't exactly negative that keyword because you will also eliminate all other searches for it (on google network and all other partners). You can't negative the search term shown cause that's not an actual keyword that's just the name of the navigation category @partner's site. You can do the following: broad modify or phrase that particular keyword, disable partner network altogether, add some negative words so you eliminate undesirable searches. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It will work. I forgot I added the phrase that didn't fit as a negative a few weeks ago. I added the whole query last Friday as a keyword, and checked on it today. Said keyword is not running because of negative keyword. So, negative keywords will apparently block the categories on search partners. Thanks again everyone.