Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Numbers as Keywords = Low Quality Score

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Fellow Adworders!

I am having some trouble scraping my Quality Score out of the gutter from a 2-4 to anything reasonable! I would even settle for a 6 right now!

The problem I seem to be having is that all of my Products have Part Numbers which is how they are identified. For example I sell HP Switches and a part number would be J9020A. So my page title, metadata, keywords and ads all contain this number. People search for this product by typing in the part number. YET Google consistenly across all my Adwords Campaign give me a rock bottom Quality Score.

I don't know why...can anyone offer any insight??

Thanks

Antony

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Numbers as Keywords = Low Quality Score

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Atlas,

How many impressions did you have for these keywords? what is the CTR?

Remember that the most important factor of the Quality Score is the CTR - if your CTR would ROCK - your QS would get higher :-)

Cheers,

Asaf

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Asaf

At the moment I have the campaign on Exact Match with some broad Negative KW like Used and Refurb to eliminate searches. I have the Display Network back on but I get like 20,000 impressions a day with that and only about 5 clicks! Also my Search CTR is usually around 1.2- 1.5 CTR.... about 600 impressions a day with between 6 to 10 clicks.

I have tried to eliminate tyre kickers by including the price in all my Ads as obviously I would rather convert more of the clicks without paying heaps!

My Landing Page is Average across the board but my Ad Relevancy and expected CTR are below average. This is why I sell nearly 800 items as the demand for all my products as a whole is excellent but each one on its own may only get 30-50 searches a month.

Am  I destined to have a Low QS and High CPC forever?!?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Atlas,

Google wants to enhance user experience by showing the most relevant ads for every search query and hence, the most imp Criteria for Quality Score (QS) is Relevancy. You mentioned that your landing page contains the keywords (in this case part number) ergo you have keyword - landing page relevancy. But what about keyword - ad - landing page relevancy. So, one way of incresing your quality score is by making sure that your ads are as relevant as possible Smiley Happy

This is just a broad solutions. You should narrow down to the keyword in your account with low QS.For this you can put a filter (Keywords with status 'low quality score'). Next to these keywords is a speech bubble. Just hover over the speech bubble and you will be able to know if your ads are being displayed or not. Here, you can actually see the reason why you have the low quality score. It will tell you whether you are lacking in CTR or relevancy or landing page experience.

Based on these, you can take the necessary steps to improve your account's QS. Remeber, it is not only the CTR, but the overall user experience as well.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Neeti

My Adwords all have the same KW in the title and I have also experimented with adding smaller Part Numbers to the Display URL. Neither of this has had any effect on CTR or QS.

I have tried overall to have the Keywords all throughout relate to the ad and the landing page. I don't understand why my relevancy would be so low.... I understand the CTR component and Landing Page but not how to make my Ads more relevent in Googles eyes?!?

Thanks for all your help so far Asaf and Neeti Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Atlas,

First off, Asaf is correct, your main focus should probably be on improving CTR as this is a big part of QS.

Check your keywords status bubble to see how your landing pages are being represented.  If you have at least an average rating, your landing pages are not hurting your QS.

I do have another thought for you too...it may be one that you have explored and if so, my apologies.

You say that you're selling parts and using the part numbers as keywords.  Are you also providing support, documentation, downloads, drivers for any of these products?

If not, I would suggest that you review your 'See search terms' reports and the 'Analyze Competition' feature (Opportunities Tab > Click through/drill down all sub categories until you can 'see search terms') and find out if you're getting impressions/clicks from folks who are seeking these types of things that you do not offer and searching by part numbers etc...

If you find this is the case and you're getting impressions/clicks from non-customers, you may want to explore adding in some new/additional negative keywords (download, drivers, support etc...) that will help eliminate the irrelevant search queries from matching your keywords, which will cut down on unwanted impressions and in turn assisting your QS.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

EDIT: Sorry for repetition...folks are posting fast these days.

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Atlas,

The easiest way would be to include keyword in your ad copies. This is an article from AdWords Help http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404196 which will definitely help you more.

-Neeti

- Neeti Ghildiyal
@NeetiGhildiyal | SMG Convonix | Join Us - Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

A Qs of 2-4 is not "low" in comparison to a QS of 1. I still maintain that even a QS of 1 is not going to stop me from maximizing the ROI of a high value term, just because QS is "low".

"I would rather convert more of the clicks..."

Why worry about QS for non-converting KW's / exact match search queries?

" I sell nearly 800 items as the demand for all my products as a whole is excellent but each one on its own may only get 30-50 searches a month."

Maybe those exact match part number terms are not the highest converting, most valuable terms, and the current landing pages for those ads are not the highest conversion rate landing pages.

If I get a "low" CTR and QS for the broad match term 'hp switches', but that term, with a general price/value/service themed ad, landing on the homepage actually generates more total overall revenue, than all of the exact part number terms combined, that's going to be my focus.

What are the 1-2 top converting exact match search query terms, the top CTR ads, and the top conversion rate landing page(s) for the all time history of the account?

Do you have a campaign where you acheive 100% of the available impression share for your top revenue generating terms, using those ads and landing pages?

Once you do that, then worry about things like QS, and improving the margin of the return. If you could double your net profit for the same amount of adbuy, with "low" qaulity scores, within a week, would you do it? If all you are looking at to judge the effectiveness of your advertising is google's QS, then you are definietly missing out on something more valuable to your business.

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Bossman

Some very good suggestions about the negative keywords. Would you recommend opening up to Phrase or Broad for Part Number Ads and then adding more Negative KW like you suggest? I get a decent amount of Traffic organically but want to attract buyers through Adwords as well...at least in the short term.

I've looked at the Status Bubble and all my Landing Pages are average but the other fields are below average.... I'm wondering whether my KW are ranked as Low because of hyphens or just cos they are numbers?

Thanks for the help! Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@Atlas

Another thing I'd highly recommend is adding pricing for each of those part numbers / products in the ads, as well as focusing on what makes you stand out / savings.

E.g. $350 HP Part# XXXX-XXX
Save $75 on (Put part name here).
Free Shipping, Order Now!

This type of format should double or triple your CTR if you aren't using that type of format, and should solve most of your problems Smiley Wink

(You can hand me the check now for that little tip Smiley Wink

This is a winning format that has generated tens of millions of dollars for our clients.

As @PPCBossman recommended above, you also need to improve your performance on the keyword / targeting side.

Hope this helps.

- David