AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Number One Tips to Improve Quality Scores in 2013

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would love to know your #1 tip to improving quality scores in 2013?  I've got a few methods but would like to know from other users what they are doing and how it's improving their quality scores.

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Number One Tips to Improve Quality Scores in 2013

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

FWIW, the quality score algorithm is always changing in subtle ways as we find new ways of predicting how happy a user will be with a click on an ad..  We don't announce this sort of tweak.  We don't talk about the details of how the algorithm works at that level, just how we don't talk about exactly how the web search ranking algorithms work.

Just create ads that are relevant to the keywords or sites that trigger your ad, and create landing pages that match the ad and query and are of high quality in general.  If you rely on black-hat techniques like stuffing the page with keywords that match your AdGroup, expect occasional quality score decreases as we get better at detecting that sort of thing.  Just like in web search.

Laura

AdWords engineer

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey John!

There was recently a change to the Quality Score algorithm, but the basic concepts are still the same.  The two main areas to look at are CTR and keyword relevancy.  There are closely related.  You want keywords that closely related to the content of the page.  Its really what Adsbot-Google thinks is the content of the page.  So I would go with the 80/20 rule.  Check to see which keywords Adsbot-Google thinks are relavent to your top 20% pages and make sure your keywords reflect those findings.

Hope that helps!

ComputerBob

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi ComputerBob,

Can you share more about the QS update you speak of?  Where you heard this and what the change was related to?

I'd love to learn more about this.

Thanks!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Tom

It was done the first week of December 2012.  It isn't so much of an update to the algorithm as it is how the QS is reported.  I manage substantial accounts and I noticed a huge increase in quality score across the board.  

So, if you saw a dramatic increase in December in QS this was probably it.

Thanks

Bob

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi John, CTR is (and I think always has been) pretty much the big thing to aim for in terms of great Quality Score.  It's a good metric because it simultaneously deals with Keyword relevance, great Ad copy and a strong call-to-action - to get a really good CTR you're going to need all three.

In terms of Keyword relevancy, don't forget the importance of the relationship between your Keyword and the ad copy, nor the relationship between all the Keywords in your Ad Group.  The relationship between your Keywords and your landing page won't be worth squat if there's not good coherence with the other Keywords in the Group and the Ad copy as well.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

FWIW, the quality score algorithm is always changing in subtle ways as we find new ways of predicting how happy a user will be with a click on an ad..  We don't announce this sort of tweak.  We don't talk about the details of how the algorithm works at that level, just how we don't talk about exactly how the web search ranking algorithms work.

Just create ads that are relevant to the keywords or sites that trigger your ad, and create landing pages that match the ad and query and are of high quality in general.  If you rely on black-hat techniques like stuffing the page with keywords that match your AdGroup, expect occasional quality score decreases as we get better at detecting that sort of thing.  Just like in web search.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Laura!

Keyword stuffing is always a bad idea, but I ran an experiment on BestBuy.com before and after the rollout of the new site. (I don't manage BestBuy.com, I just knew a new site was rolling out so I started recording data on the top 100 product pages and keywords.) 

There was a significant change in average position.  So I started tracking the adsbot-google across different site structures and found a significant difference in different types of site structures.  It must be how the bot parses the information.

So instead of keyword stuffing or any of that non-sense, simply track the adsbot-google across yoru site and see where you can make improvements. 

I guess the other thing is that you have to wait for that the adsbot-google to crawl the page before you will see the improvements from changes.  You can see which pages were crawled through your apache server logs or .net logs.

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

>> It was done the first week of December 2012

Well, something does seem to have happened in Nov-Dec. I didn't make much of it until I saw a couple of posts in other forums. After all, if I see 90% of keywords at QS 10, it is my job to do so for my clients. I'm not surprised when I see how poor competitor ads are. But there appears to have been a re-adjustment or re-calculation of QS around that time but other than conjecture, I have heard nothing direct from Google, not that I expect to.

As Cobnut said, CTR is the main driver of QS. It may be 70% of the score, 60% or 80%, who knows, but it's up there. The majority of the rest is relevancy. All this explained in a video on Youtube by Google's chief economist Hal Varian. Well, he explains the principles, not any actual percentages although you can infer from his pie chart that CTR is about 65-70% of QS. This may have changed since that video is a few years old but if I was Google, I wouldn't mess with that too much. If anything, I'd make it more.

To me, keyword relevancy has two parts. One is relevancy of the keyword to the ad. In other words, it will be higher if the keyword is found in the ad. But I think a bigger portion is to the landing page. If your page is about widgets and your keyword is about dog food, there is no relevancy and you will take a big hit on your QS, no matter how many times you mention dog food in the ad.

As Laura said, and she seems to be in the know, the QS calculation algo probably changes fairly often, and probably in subtle ways. But the main idea is, what is your ad's CTR at a specific position compared to competitors using the same keyword. I'm sure that basic premise will never change.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Lucid_Marketing

I was thinking the same thing, but I also know that before the 'adjustment for inflation' occurred that only manufacturers were getting 10/10 quality scores in my industry. That is what triggered my interest into what was going on. Now it is really easy to get 10/10 quality scores. ( Like I mentioned before, this is the QS that Google is reporting to you, not the actual QS.)  

I think this has to do with promoting of certain match types.  I get 10/10 quality scores all day long with broad match with lower CTR than their exact match mirrored keyword. (broad Match CTR: ~1.45 QS:10/10, Exact Match CTR: 12.95 QS:3/10)   Clearly Google is making a significant more money off broad match and if you are only concerned about QS you will say to yourself "gee I better stick to broad match".

What really matters is CPA. Are you making money or losing money?  If you want to spend your time on something, spend it on ROAS.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bob.

>> Now it is really easy to get 10/10 quality scores.

Has it not occurred to you that you have just found the type of ads that work and makes people click? In my experience, advertisers tend to use the same ideas in their ads. If those happen to be the ones that gives good QS, it will look like achieving 10/10 is easy. Nothing to do with manufacturing. Sometimes I swear that small, local businesses, especially service industries, are harder to get good QS. I've often heard others say that it's impossible to get good QS for certain niches because of high competition. This is bull. I/they just haven't found the right formula yet.

>> Like I mentioned before, this is the QS that Google is reporting to you, not the actual QS

Oh, man. I'm having the same kind of conversation on LinkedIn.

I don't know where people are getting this from all of a sudden. There is only one QS as far as I know and calculating two of them or using two different ones just doesn't make sense. What I suspect is that a Googler told someone that the QS one sees in ones account is an integer number. Yet, the "real" QS is one calculated to many decimal places in the background. It's the same QS, just the one reported to you rounded off. I guess you could call it an approximation. But it's not as if you see your QS as 7 and that Google secretely uses 5 or some other number.

>>  I get 10/10 quality scores all day long with broad match with lower CTR than their exact match mirrored keyword.

So who says you can't get 10/10 using a broad match? Is that "old, regular" broad or broad modified? I'm guessing the modified version based on your data because the QS is calculated using the exact match of the search. In other words, the search is "who sells plastic widgets", the QS is not affected if your keyword is "where to buy plastic widgets".

Comparing the CTR doesn't help and means nothing. Even if the keywords were all the same and the broad being regular broad, the QS as said will be the same. But the CTRs may be vastly different as in your case. There is no correlation between CTR and QS for different keywords or even the same keyword in different types. It certainly is no indication that Google has made a major change.

>> What really matters is CPA.

Definitely.