Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Not seeing my ads using ad preview tool due to low ad rank

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I know this must be an obvious question asked time and time again, but I've been optimising a campaign daily.  Trying to find negative keywords, reorganising keywords so I have tighter adgroups, moving from two ads in rotation to three etc etc.

I was feeling quite good about the work I have been doing,  however I am losing too many impressions and in turn clicks and sales,  in just over a week I've gone from a week ago burning through a £50 budget in a 3-4 hours to not being able spend £50 all day now.

This campaign has been a royal pain in the posterior,  the company I'm working with have had supply issues so I've had a lot of stopping and starting on the campaign.

You couldn't get this product for love nor money a few weeks ago and now two major retailers have it in stock and cheaper than what the independent company I sell it for - (Im not sure this is relevant just want to give as much info as possible.)

I notice when I check the preview tool it's regularly saying "This candidate isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now because of a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score."

I'm working to improve my QS scores, many of them are 6's, 7's, 8's but as I have said Im really trying to get this campaign in tip top shape.

Whilst I was exhuasting my budget quickly I believed I would sometimes not see the ads in the preview tool as the budget was running out , however the company has stocked pilled the product and I'm not going in the correct direction with this campaign.

I've checked all the obvious things, negative keywords, change to settings etc I cant see anything that would put me on downward spiral like this.

I'm wondering if my bids could be too tight and I need to raise them?  Or can it be the fact that the demand for this item has really died a death in the past week.

One other thing to add, this a new product to the market, there was 4/5 advertisers before xmas.  Everyone has now disappeared, I kind of expected it since I assumed they have now ran out of stock but now it's has me wondering. The only ads now appearing for this item is within google shopping.

I know I will have some questions to answer come Monday and I don't have the a clue what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Michael,

When a campaign is started and stop often, it really messes with the AdWords system. This will affect the campaign in the way you describe.

Of course, consumer interest in a unique product plays a part, and so does other actions by competitors. Raising the bids will assist with the campaign performance since higher bids can make up for many other low elements... but the ads will not be shown all that much until you create better quality ads and even make changes to the landing page URL to better align with the wording of the ad, advertised product, and general elements of the campaign (keywords, etc.). You can use this information to learn more about ad rank and position.  

Aside from that, bids being too low, and ads not being relevant is quite important in this situation. The scores you quote 6/10, 7/10 and 8/10 are keywords scores. Ad quality is not presented by a score, but rather is shown by the message you state when ad quality is low. The only way to bring the ad quality up is to rewrite the ads (+adjust landing page contents). 

Last thing to keep in mind is that an AdWords account that is too tight will implode and never take up traction and rocket forward. Loosen targeting, raise bids and give it room to wiggle... and let it do so and then slowly confine it. Adjustments must be made slow since a user can adjust the adjustment (x2) before AdWords has even implemented the first adjustment. Leave 2-3 days between adjustments.

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there @James_Clemens

Thanks for the link I will go through it.

I could be wrong but I actually believe my ads are good, I'm getting good CTR - I was kind of proud of this campaign lol.

When you say I need to rewrite my ads, that would be case if I was getting low CTR right?

I've made sure that all the ads go to relevant pages, I've split out my keywords so my ads are as tightly relevant to the ad copy they are grouped with. I'm a novice when compared to some of you guys but I really thought I had got this campaign very very detailed.

I've worked hard on the landing pages so that they provide useful information to the end user and contain all the key elements.

It almost feels as though google is throttling the traffic it is sending to my campaign, I thought the idea was to be as granular as possible.  For some of my ad groups I have drilled down as much as possible and whilst I don't expect tonnes of traffic I expected some and the traffic which I did receive I expected it to be high converting because my adverts would be highly highly relevant.

I feel like I'm just not seeing sufficient traffic I cannot believe this is correct.

I don't know how much stock I should put into this but Google rang me out of the blue about 10 days ago and the lady said my structure was good. The only advice she really gave me was to move from two ads per group to 3 which I did and a change in my conversion tracking.

Anyway thanks very much for the advice you have given I appreciate it

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Michael,

You are very welcome. 

A lot could have changed in the ten days since you last spoke with AdWords Support. And if you are making changes to the account, you could have made a change that you did not realize. This is where reviewing when the traffic dipped down and comparing that to your account history. If you see something that may have restricted traffic you can revert the change (within the history tab with one click). 

An account can have a high CTR one day and then the ads quality can flip to low and performance die off. Massive changes too often can bring the same sad state. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @James_Clemens

That's exactly what Ive been doing....going through every change I've made.

The traffic has been on a slow downward spiral nothing dramatic or obvious.

I think the problem is that my bidding was way too tight, I should have seen the signs,  some new products were released and I went ahead and created very detailed and granular adgroups and ads however I was not getting many impressions at all.

I made the assumption that because the products were very new and in some cases I was ahead of the curve no one was searching on those terms but I think, my bids were just too low and it was strangling my impressions.

Also when I found a new keyword in search terms I was immediately adding that keyword into a new tightly themed adgroup with matching adcopy and putting that keyword as negative in the original adgroup that it triggered.

Ive read today that I should have created the new adgroup and let both run side by side and then when I getting activity for that keyword in the new adgroup at that point I could pause that keyword or add it as a negative. 

I believe I'm making changes too fast and not giving the system chance reflect those changes, I have some pressures from the company I'm working with so I guess I made mistakes.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Michael,

Sounds pretty spot on to me. And you do have the right attitude and determination to succeed, so keep thinking as you are. Mistakes are not something you have made really... but merely optimizing and trying to squeeze the most from AdWords for your company. This is the name of the game and not all adjustments will yield more, not even for seasoned experts. 

Keep pressing forward, sir. 

Cheers,

James