AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Non performing keywords - How to deal with them?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This result is from All Time report (more than 1 year data). Here are the situations:

1) Out of my 1826 keywords (collected over a period of 1.5 yrs) around 500 have 0 Clicks and few have impressions in single digits.

2) I have around 36 Ad Groups with 2 - 3 ads per ad group

If today I sit to analyze and do a peel and stick of my keywords what should be the best approach? Should I get rid of all keywords that have no impression and / or no clicks? Or try to put effort in making them even more sharp and efficient?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Non performing keywords - How to deal with them?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris.

How many times have you changed the Ads in that period?  What is the purpose of the 36 Groups - how are they themed?  I presume you have other Keywords that are performing well; what are their conversion rates, CTR and Quality Score figures like? What sort of average positions are you seeing for your Keywords (both those that perform and these 500)?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Non performing keywords - How to deal with them?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jon,

There were 2 major changes during this period. That was to break the campaigns into tighter themes. The 36 groups that I have are very tightly made with separate landing pages, and keywords etc. Some groups have 5-10 keywords whereas others have 20-30 keywords as well.

There are keywords that are converting very well:

Conversion Rate: 1.6

Average position 2.5

CTR: 2.48

Search Impression Share: 42%

Keywords that are converting average quality score is 9/10 (mostly 10/10)

But there are also keywords with 10/10 score but there is no single click. How to treat them differently.

Thanks!

For keywords that are converting well I see