AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

No more bold text in headline?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it just me or is there no more bold text in the ad headline?

I'm referring to words from the search query that appear as bold in the ad, if they match the ad text.

I still see words in bold in the description lines and display url.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: No more bold text in headline?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi PPCer,

It isn't just you Smiley Happy there's another thread about this that you might be interested to read. It talks about why this happened and some ideas around writing engaging ad copy now that keywords aren't in bold.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/New-AdWords-Ad-Format-Discussion-Te...

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi PPCer,

It isn't just you Smiley Happy there's another thread about this that you might be interested to read. It talks about why this happened and some ideas around writing engaging ad copy now that keywords aren't in bold.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/New-AdWords-Ad-Format-Discussion-Te...

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi PPCer,

Yes, when a keyword matches the search term exactly and also available in the ad text, it appears in bold. It is applicable to headline as well.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Amy, I agree this is a new challenge as far as ad copy goes.
Should be interesting.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sumanth,
This doesn't happen any more in the headline, only in the rest of the ad.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi PPCer & Amy,

You guys are right Smiley Happy Just noticed that description lines continue to appear in bold and headline doesn't. I don't remember when I last saw bold words in the headline but this is quite a change actually! As Dave has mentioned in the other thread, its time to be more creative in writing ads than just to depend on exact match or DKI.

Thanks for article Amy.

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yep. The word in the headline (which matched the keyword) is not in bold anymore,
Google changed the practice to bold the keyword in the 2 description lines.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

have anyone of you experienced any changes in their CTR after this update from Google?

Thanks,

Fenna

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆