Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

No impressions on remarketing for search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I opened a new ad group in an existing campaign and targeted it only for a certain audience list.
There are over 100,000 cookies in the list, all the keywords are broad, and still i cant see any impressions. The adgroup is running for three weeks already... any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Remarketing for search - No Impressions.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I opened a new ad group in an existing campaign and targeted it only for a certain audience.
There are over 100,000 cookies in the list, all the keywords are broad, and still i cant see any impressions. The adgroup is running for three weeks already... any ideas?

Re: Remarketing for search - No Impressions.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

An ad group in an existing campaign will use the same budget and the same scheduling. It is like trying to fit 100.000 people in a subway which has only 1000 places at the same time. You need more subway wagons , more resources Smiley Happy

Try to create a new campaign with it's own budget, at first set a good daily budget ( perhaps 3 times higher than what would be confortable, until you start the impressions.

Also try to set a higher bid at first, because that influences the triggering of impressions, you can adjust to lower the bid later. How is your bid relative to the first page bid estimate for every one of those keywords ?

You said nothing about ads, It happend to me once to try to copy-paste some ads from an old campaign to a new one and I guess I clicked the wrong ad group , thus resulting in having no ads. Also your ads can be approved or not , what is their status.

What are your exclusions at the campaign level ? Are you excluding the same 100.000 cookies list in order to prevent "returning visitors" in your normal search campaign ?

Re: No impressions on remarketing for search

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian, thank you for the quick reply.Smiley Happy
The campaign budget is quite big and rarely happens that the it runs out.
I made new ads with a specific message for returning costumers and they have all been approved, the keyword bids are more then the first page bid suggestion, and there in only a small list of non relevent users that i excluded.
Nevertheless, i think that opening a new campaign is a good idea.

I hope That Google thinks so too. Smiley Happy
Many thanks,

Josef.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From my experience, google does not evenly distribute budgeting to all that you put in one basket. If you have 10.000 keywords (much like the 100.000 cookies) , even if you have a million dollar daily budget,  the system will use some of those keywords and provide zero impressions for others.This happens even if the keyword planner shows that all the 10.000 keywords have local traffic.

It must be a problem of priority, it cannot decide which of those 100.000 people is more important to have allocated impressions.

The same applies to placements in a display campaign , when you try to use more than a few dozen placements in the same ad group or campaign, the majority of them have zero impressions even if the bid is high and the daily budget also high. But if you split them in groups of 10-20 placements in different campaigns, things start moving and you receive impressions.

It is still unclear to me why this happens. I usually make an equivalence of 1 $ per day for every keyword or placement or cookie from an audience. If I wouldn't have a 100.000 $ daily budget, I wouldn't recommend using all that audience, I would split it in smaller audiences, based on the pages they visited.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Josef, creating a separate Campaign is probably a good idea, but only because it gives you greater control, not for any other reason.  If you've got Approved Ads, a decent list size and ample budget, you should be seeing some impressions with your existing setup so I suspect something is wrong elsewhere.

Are you targeting "Target & Bid" or "Bid Only"?  My first step might be to try "Bid Only" so that you can check the Keywords are actually matching searches.  If you get impressions on Bid Only then it's a step forward and indicates the problem is likely with your remarketing list rather than the Campaign itself.

What is your location targeting set to?  If you're using "Target & Bid" and have set a location where non of your list would have come from you'll get no results.

Have you tried the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool?  This should show you why your Ads aren't showing.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Aren't the default "Target and bid" or the second option "Bid" choices only for targeting placements in the Display network ? This is RLSA.

The ad preview tool is an excelent observation that I have missed to provide in my answer. Thank you for joining this interesting conversation.

target-and-bid-search.png

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
No, the "Target & Bid" option applies to Search as well. If you choose "Target & Bid" in a Search Campaign then your Keywords will only match when the person carrying out the search is also on one of your Remarketing lists. Again, the Ad Preview tool will tell you this if you check against a Keyword in a Search/Remarketing Campaign and you're not on the list.

Jon
AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon and Adrian,
Thanks a lot for the usefull info.
Right now i am opted in to "target & bid".
I tried the diagnosis tool, and it says that my distribution is limited to a certain аudience (as expected...).
It's sounds like a good idea to change the targeting for a while in order to better understand the problem, but in the same campaign i have a duplicate ad group (regular one without the audience targeting) and it works fine.

I guess that the most logical explanation for the lack of impressions is an issue with the list...
It's a tag based list, so i think i might try making a new one that will be rule based, maybe it will solve the problem.

Thanks again,
Josef.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello,

I have no experience with this, I only am reading this thread because I´am learning.

But by reading it I got a thought, and a question.

Could it be that the original adgroup is competing with the remarketing adgroup?

And my question is, is it necessary to exclude the audience in the original and other ad-group(s) under the audience tab, to not compete?
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.