4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

No change in campaign or group, but quality ranking decreases

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, I have been using adwords now for ove one month. My campaigns and ads were doing great. I maximized clicks per cost and CPC. Then, over night, the most successful key words went from high quality score to low quality score, showing virtually no impressions anymore. All these words are 100% in line with the content on our site and our SEO. I have now repeated this process over the last week and seen that when my ads run well after 2 days the impressions and qulity scores go down a litlle, down a little and then seem to be 'turned off' by Google.

All help/suggestions very much appreciated. 

We are a b to b play, no networks except google search results. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: No change in campaign or group, but quality ranking decreases

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

What you're describing could be a case of keywords with a good history across Google Search, whose quality scores degrade due to the fact that the CTR you're obtaining for them is significantly lower than what other advertisers obtain for the same keyword.

If anything like that happens, Google decreases your quality score and in time your ads don't get the chance to show. However, when using the Ad Preview Tool, you'll probably notice that your competition still has ads for the same keywords that are causing you problems.

Anyway, whenever there are quality score issues, the first stop is the speech bubble next to each keyword. If you hover over a keyword, what does it tell you? Is it, by any chance "Keyword relevance: poor"?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Are you making any changes what so ever to the site or the account?

As Calin said it could be down to your CTR changing (which is the key component of quality score). If you hover over the status bubble what does it say? It should tell you where the issue is.

What are you type of keywords are your successful keywords? Are the generic terms or other companies brands? If they are other brand terms then this could explain the drop as Google has decided it wasn't relevant.

If you let us know what the status bubble says then hopefully we will be able to help further.

Cheers

Kane

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

You mention B2B.  Many of the searches on Google are B2C.  Check your search term reports and add negatives as needed.  My guess is your ads are being shown for too many consumer-oriented searches which is hurting your CTR, which in turn drags down your QS, over time.

If, OTOH, you're only using exact matches, then split test some new ad text to increase the CTRs.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

RBall had a great suggestion about the Search Terms Report.  It allows advertisers who use broad and phrase match keywords to see what actual search terms were used by people who found and clicked your ads. The report is very helpful in identifying irrelevant search terms that can be added as negative keywords as well as identify new keywords that you may not have thought of yet. The purpose of the report is to help you improve your click through rates, quality score and ultimately have higher ad rank and lower costs per click. The report can be located under both the Dimensions tab or the Keywords tab > Search Terms Report button. I prefer the KEYWORDS tab route myself.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'