Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

No Matter what I do my QS is 1/10

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am using a pharse match keyword "wordpress developers" with a lot of negatives. 

Below are my 2 ads .. They seem really relevant to me, and I am getting a 2% CTR with my Keyword. My search impression share is 79.38%. Why does google keep putting my quality score so low?

Vetted WP Developers
We Do The Hiring For You
www.wphire.com
Cheap labor causes buggy code. Our Developers Focus On Quality.

Frustrated By WP Developers?
We Do The Hiring For You
www.wphire.com
Prevent Finical Loss And Stress. Work With Experienced Vetted WP Developers

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Eldan S,

My best guess is Google may perhaps also be frustrated by WP devs as you put it. The QS is probably bad because too many of them used the kw in the wrong way in the past and you sort of inherited the lack of confidence. None of your fault. It may not seem just to yourself but that's how the system works. The good news is that with persisting CTR data you may overcome this hurdle over time.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the response. But how does this affect my ad relevancy? Should that be at least average?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

As discussed above, the system factors is what former advertisers did to the keyword you are using now. The QS will remain low till you accrue enough stats, with good CTR values. (2% will probably do.) How much stats will suffice depends on historical data we don't have access to.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This keyword is very popular. And do remember that QS is relative to other advertisers who are bidding high on this KW. To achieve an average QS you should be able to reach  a CTR close to the average (the predominant  component of QS). I guess this CTR is quite high, and hence and only high bidder advertisers are within the average (i.e. a QS of 5- 6)

Try more niche keywords in this  very competitive  business.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eldan S
July

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Eldan S,

One thing to remember, relevance has nothing to do with your specific ad copy or whether your keywords show in the ad. It's all about CTR, and it's always about CTR. When Google says "relevant", they mean to the user. They measure that relevance with CTR on the combination of the keyword and ad copy.

That you are needing to use a lot of negatives is a clue that phrase match may not be restrictive enough, and that could lead to low CTR and QS.

Do you have the keyword also as exact match? If not, I'd recommend you add that. Also, run a search terms report on the phrase match, then add exact matches for queries with a good CTR (anything over the average for the keyword), and set your bids accordingly.

Your impression share (IS) is about 80%, not bad, but could be better. Is your lost IS due to rank or due to budget? What's your average position? If it's below 4, you may want to increase your bids to get a better position at the top of the SERP.

Be sure to use extensions, they can help improve your QS. And try writing new ad copy to see if you can get a better CTR.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete, 

Thanks for the response. That makes more sense. It might be cause of my bid, which I will play around with. Also I will try what you do. Look at the search terms and see which ones the user is using. Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, 

I will try more niche keywords and see how that works. Thank you!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You might want to check your spelling. I assume you intended to use the word Financial rather than Finical