6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Newbie question about HTML "meta name=keywords" and "meta name = description"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I'm selling chocolate widgets, should I place the words "chocolate" and "widgets" in the HTML "description" or "keywords" area?

Will doing this assist in getting a higher "Quality Score"/lower click cost?

What's the difference between placing the words "chocolate" and "widgets" in the HTML "description" or placing those words in the "keywords" area?  Is one better than the other?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Newbie question about HTML "meta name=keywords" and "meta name = description&quot

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @bobbym880,

Google AdWords is a different system altogether. Most of the practices of SEO do not apply here. Hence, having keywords in Meta Title, Keywords or Description tags does not actually affect your quality score or landing page relevance. 

When optimizing a landing for AdWords, some of the key points to consider should be -

Build clear context - Your landing page should talk about the main context/content/keywords of your ads. For instance, if your advertising campaign targets keywords like chocolate widgets, your landing should as well. But, here's one very important point to consider. Simply by stuffing keywords, we can't build a context. In a very simple term if your landing answers all the queries related to the product or service in question, it builds a clear context.

And keywords...? They will come naturally in your contents. If you are going to talk about chocolates, you can't actually avoid using chocolates. So, the best way to optimize content for keywords/context is not to optimize it. Focus on giving as much information as possible to your potential customers. Write simple, short, and to-the-point contents. 

Focus on experience - When you aim to make your visitors delighted, everything else gets you to the right direction of a better user experience. Put yourself in the customers' shoe and think what they must be looking for if they come to your website? A better product information, shipping info and costs, a few testimonials from the past customers, a page that loads faster and saves their time, a better experience no matter what screen size their device has? Yes, when you address these all, you are offering a better UX to your potential customers. And AdWords system is intelligent enough to recognize these positive signals. 

Be in line with your ad copies - When your ads talk about chocolates, your landing page should as well. Don't bring visitors on a page that talks about soft drinks, or a page that has everything you sell. Do not make them look for what they came for. Make it clearly visible and that too above the fold if possible. When your ad instigated interest in me even when you had character limits, now I am on your website and you have no limits, convince me to convert. That's what the actual game is. 

Don't be bothered with adding more of keywords to your landing page, rather be focused on adding value and a better experience for your potential customers. You will love the results.

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Tweeter

Re: Newbie question about HTML "meta name=keywords" and "meta name = description&

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ratan:
Thanks for your suggestions. I will use your insights to create a better experience. However, the Google Adwords phone representative told me that I SHOULD DEFINITELY use the HTML keywords and HTML description. So now I'm getting conflicting information.
There must be some official documentation from Google on this.

Re: Newbie question about HTML "meta name=keywords" and "meta name = description

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I didn't say - don't use them. Use them
Title and description tags are necessary elements of a webpage. Just don't
be obsessed with keywords. Using them multiple times won't improve your
quality score, but creating a better experience will.

Thanks
Ratan

Re: Newbie question about HTML "meta name=keywords" and "meta name = description

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@bobbym880

I think you are confusing here QS and conversion.

QS is mainly a CTR. This is the predominant component of QS. Currently,  You are focusing on "technicalities"  on the page (code) instead of driving traffic to the webpage. (Then click comes before the user visit the page).

This is not  SEO. Though in order to convert the page has to have clear content, good user experience, as @Ratan-Jha explained, you first have to "drive" the users to click on the ad (resulting in a higher CTR). This is done by choosing the correct keywords and match types and having a clear,  appealing ad-copy with a call to action (as explained by Ratan).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for your useful insights MosheTLV. I will use your suggestions.
And, YES, I am concerned with technicalities. My questions concerned "behind the scenes" HTML.
1. Will placing the words "chocolate" and "widgets" in the HTML "description" or "keywords" area assist in getting a higher "Quality Score"?
2. What's the difference between placing the words "chocolate" and "widgets" in the HTML "description" or placing those words in the "keywords" area? Is one better than the other?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

an@bobbym880;

Again, This is not SEO. Forget technicalities. Focus on the user experience, choosing the correct keywords and ad-copy. Only those will raise your QS. (Mainly by a higher CTR)

>>" we advise that you not try to “keyword stuff” your landing pages in an attempt to increase landing page relevance (we don’t think keyword stuffing is a good practice for any of your pages). Instead, we urge all advertisers to focus on creating great experiences that deliver what a user is looking for. Our scoring is merely an attempt to measure that—to measure, you might say, user delight."

I strongly urge you to look again at the learning  section of the help center about QS, and focus on what matters for the user, not for a machine.

Start here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

And here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6167116?hl=en&ref_topic=6167081

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobbym880
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi bobbym880,

You have great answers here already. Let me give you a more direct answer.

1. Will placing the words "chocolate" and "widgets" in the HTML "description" or "keywords" area assist in getting a higher "Quality Score"?
No, neither of those will affect your Quality Score.

2. What's the difference between placing the words "chocolate" and "widgets" in the HTML "description" or placing those words in the "keywords" area? Is one better than the other?
These are SEO questions. Neither will affect the QS.
Keywords meta tag: some search engines still use this to help index pages. Google no longer does.
Description meta tag: This should be a brief description of the page. It will often be used as the page
description in organic listings. It should read as plain, grammatically correct language, not a list of kewords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords