AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Newbie Question. Getting the long tail to "show"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a little confused by a behaviour I am seeing in our account. I think it must be a basic error on my side from a strategy perspective but I can't find a solution by "playing".

In summary I've set up my campaign to have multiple adgroups organised by keyword. So each adgroup is called "keyword" and within it I've got that "keyword" with the differing match types. 

I've started with a few and seen the "real search terms" that are triggering the adverts and then added those as new adgroups/keywords.

So here's the thing. If we keep the example simple and imagine I'm bidding on a head term called "one" after a few days I see that people are searching for "one two three four" and variants of. So I create new adgroups as follows with the keywords you'd expect (ie the name of the adgroup).

Adgroup : Keywords(s)

one : "one", one+, [one]

one two  : "one two", one+ two+, [one two]

one two three : "one two three", one+ two+ three+, [one two three]

one two three four : "one two three four", one+ two+ three+ four+, [one two three four]

Here's the thing - for the adgroup called "one" that's got a phrase match on the word "one" within it the adverts still show from that ad group even for an exact match in another adgroup.

So someone searches for : one two three four things

The ad from the adgroup called "one" still shows.

Why? 

How do I encourage Google to favour the adgroups from the long tail adgroups rather than the shorter/head terms?

Confused..I'm sure there is some simple logic to this I'm missing....

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Newbie Question. Getting the long tail to "show"?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

If you want to stop "one two three four things" this query from your adgroup Smiley Surprisedne then use negative keywords.

one : "one", one+, [one]

negative keywords: -[one two three four],  -[one two],  -[one two three]

one two  : "one two", one+ two+, [one two]

negative keywords: -[one two three four],  -[one],  -[one two three]

one two three : "one two three", one+ two+ three+, [one two three]

negative keywords: -[one two three four],  -[one two], -[one]

one two three four : "one two three four", one+ two+ three+ four+, [one two three four]

negative keywords: -[one two three],  -[one two], -[one]

Also correct your broad match modifier. You are using like : one+ two+ that is wrong. Right format is +one +two.

Just a thought of Mine!

Thanks
Anchal

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

Please remember that only one keyword per account is allowed to trigger an ad including all the match types you have.

And in your case if I keep it simple and easy to optimize your campaigns/ ad groups, you need to use the embedded negative keywords in your account so that the ad which you want to get triggered gets eligible for the ad auction. Read this article for more insights.

EDIT: @Anchal, you are fast Smiley Happy

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by stephenb (Follower ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello ThePaidMozzer; welcome;

This is not an easy topic It does require some learning:

Start by reading this article:

How similar keywords match to search terms

It is a help center article, based on a series of 3 posts (!! - Not an easy topic! ) -   published on the AdWords blog:

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 1

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 2

When Several Keywords Match a Search Query, Which One is Used? - Part 3

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This idea certainly seems to be worth a try. I've implemented in the campaign. I'll let you know how it goes.