Guide Me
star_border

New option ? Targeting optimisation - Let AdWords find new customers

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When I created a new Display Network only Campaign - all features, at the bottom of the targeting window there was this set of options which I have not seen before even if I am not bidding by CPA :

targeting-optimization-display-campaign.png

Here is the help page about these new options :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/190596

Have you seen this option before ? Have you tested it ?

Shouldn't DCO appear as an option after 15 conversions ?

I feel tempted to enable"Conservative targeting" for all Display Ad groups Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: New option ? Targeting optimisation - Let AdWords find new custome

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian B,

Its reccomended to use DCO in one of two ways: opt in ad groups in an existing Display campaign or create a brand new, standalone campaign for DCO. There is only a small trade-off between the two choices, but we recommend the following:

• Use and existing campaign -- if you have well built out Display campaigns and want to see where you can gain incremental traffic within existing campaigns, budgets and targets.
  • Create a brand new campaign and ad groups -- if you want to let DCO explore the GDN on its own budget, find more traffic via previously untapped Display targets, and optimize all of your Display targeting for you.

The most important thing to remember is DCO requires 1-2 weeks to learn. Making significant changes (ads or bids) can significantly impair DCO’s ability to learn and find relevant placements.

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Keep in mind that for remarketing campaigns, turning on the "Targeting Optimization" option can result in impressions for audience members who have not hit your website/specific pages. If you are using custom creative based on user behavior, "Targeting Optimization" will open the audience up to non-website visitors (according to a rep).

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian B,

Its reccomended to use DCO in one of two ways: opt in ad groups in an existing Display campaign or create a brand new, standalone campaign for DCO. There is only a small trade-off between the two choices, but we recommend the following:

• Use and existing campaign -- if you have well built out Display campaigns and want to see where you can gain incremental traffic within existing campaigns, budgets and targets.
  • Create a brand new campaign and ad groups -- if you want to let DCO explore the GDN on its own budget, find more traffic via previously untapped Display targets, and optimize all of your Display targeting for you.

The most important thing to remember is DCO requires 1-2 weeks to learn. Making significant changes (ads or bids) can significantly impair DCO’s ability to learn and find relevant placements.

Kathleen

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you , that is useful information.

Yes DCO is not a new feature , it is simply presented here in the new menu as "Agressive targeting". What seems to be a new feature is the option "Conservative targeting".

Is there a reason why I shouldn't enable now "conservative targeting" for all ad groups ? Can it decrease traffic for example?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Did you get any more information about this feature?

Thanks

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I just enabled "Conservative targeting" in all ad Display ad groups and I will compare results after 1 month.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Keep in mind that for remarketing campaigns, turning on the "Targeting Optimization" option can result in impressions for audience members who have not hit your website/specific pages. If you are using custom creative based on user behavior, "Targeting Optimization" will open the audience up to non-website visitors (according to a rep).

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Ashlee H for sharing this. It didn't occur to me to avoid this option in ad groups targeting remarketing lists.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

I can see its been close to a week for you in testing out this new feature. I am just curious, if you have any learnings to share for the same at this point in time? 

Regards

Som

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Adrian,

What results did you manage to get using this feature?

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This option which now is enabled by default is good if you need more traffic. For an ad group where I had 20-30 clicks per day , enabling conservative targeting brings me to over 100 clicks per day. The visits are also good , not many 1 second visits, my records show around 30% of these display visits access over 3 pages and 19% access over 6 pages so it is good quality traffic picked automatically by google.