AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New company name and URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company is changing its name and URL and I want to use my existing key words but change the URL. We have gained some good traction with our existing key words/Google AdWords groups and I don't want to lose that momentum. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New company name and URL

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi pete,

You can do this with the help of Adwords editor.

In Adwords Editor, Go to campaign or adgroup and select all the keywords (keybord shortcut: CTRL+ A) that for which you want to change the Destination Url and right click. You will get a context menu in that select the option 'Replace text in selected items'. Now, in find text field enter your Destination URL and in Replace field enter the new Destination URL. Select the option 'Destination URL' from the drop down menu list to replace with new URL. Same way you can replace other fields in Ad text. 

I hope this helps you.

Screen Shots:

replace url.PNGreplace url 1.PNG

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would recommend, first, to redirect to the new URL; and only after the site has gained some traffic to make the change permanent.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pete,

John Paul Sing is correct, you can make the change pretty quickly and easily via editor, however, I would suggest making a copy of your campaigns and updating the URL as opposed to updating your existing campaigns. If you copy and paste your whole campaign, it will carry everything (keywords, bids, negatives, ads, etc) then just be sure to update your URLs before you send it live. Once you have your duplicate campaigns, just pause your old campaigns and label them with "ZZZ" or "OLD" or something that tells any potential future managers not to reactivate them.

When you edit your ads, it's going to delete them and create a new set, anyway. If you have all of your old data and new data in the same campaign, it muddies the water a bit. Plus, if for any reason you want to default back to your old campaign structure, you'll still have it.

One note I'd add about redirects. I absolutely recommend redirecting your old URL to your new URL for SEO purposes but be sure you don't direct any ads to the old URL once it has a redirect in place. Delivering traffic to a redirect breaks AdWords policies and your ads will be disapproved.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the transition!