Guide Me
star_border

New campaign, little to no impressions.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I have recently opened a new local business and was relying on adwords express to bring in traffic. The first month of using xpress I had pretty good results on a budget of $750 that month. 

After some research I decided to hire a professional to create a fully fledged adwords campaign for me that includes roughly 500 keywords and 300 separate ads. The account is roughly 4 days old now and has a similar budget of $75 a day, 4 days a week with just under 300 ads. A few of the keywords have a decent quality score of 7/10 while most remain unscored, I imagine from lack of data. 

My problem right now is that even with a max cpc bid per keyword of $20 using maximize clicks auto bid I am seeing very low impressions, single digits for every day the ad has run to be precise. The average position of the ads that are shown is great, typically in the top 3, however on my adwords express I am use to 100-300 impressions or more a day on the search network. 

I am working in a relatively small town using search network only, what research I have done shows that the first few days of a new campaign are slow to take off but I think this is a little slower than what should be seen. Recommendations have ranged from increasing budget to using new keywords however my budget is decent I think and the keywords I am using have had great results in the past. The search terms are broad matched using the + option for most and the negative keywords do not appear to be restrictive enough to have such a heavy impact.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Some people say that it takes 3-7 days of monitoring and adjusting to start seeing results however over the past few days after steadily increasing max cpc to 30 I still have very low results.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New campaign, little to no impressions.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Logan L,

How many ad groups do you have all of the keywords and ads divided into? If those are all thrown into one or two ad groups, the account needs restructured for best performance. 

Each campaign should be well organized with ad groups. Each ad group will typically have 1-15 keywords and 3 ads. And each ad needs to be very relevant to the URL landing page of your website. And you will want to use every possible site extension you can. These are really important for AdWords. 

Please keep in mind that negative keywords are very powerful with AdWords. You may want to remove any/all that may be impacting performance... and add them back in, one by one, every 4-6 hours until the account is dialed in. There have been many cases where people add in a massive amount of negative keywords and choke out any possible real performance. 

Targeting is another choke point, if not done correctly. Make sure it is targeting your audience. 

You can run the Ad Preview and Diagnosis Tool to see what it reveals. Same with the KeyWord Planner Tool. These can be found in the upper menu item under Tools.

Another thing I would do is to customize the columns to show a little more data. Each section of data (Campaigns, Ad groups, Keywords, etc..) is organized with columns. If you click on the button Columns, you can customize what is shown.

• For campaigns, you should at least add in the Search Lost IS (rank) and Search Lost IS (bugdet). These are located under the competitive metrics.  
  • For keywords, you should at least add in the Est. first page bid and Est. top of page bid.

In the end, there are a lot of things that could be at fault.

Always remember...

• AdWords Express is automated and simplified (a set it and forget system).
  • AdWords is a system that can be somewhere automatized but is generally a very manual operating system. It needs constant care and a lot of adjustments for the first 30 days to get an account optimized correctly. The larger and more complex, the more time it will take. It is usually best to start small and simple and then grow the size and complexity. A new AdWords account is as needy, if not more, than a new born baby. Once you reach the one month mark and feel the account is working as you want... you are going to still need to check in on it every few day, if not daily. AdWords is very needy... always. And just when you have things perfectly working, a new feature will be added or something else will change that will disrupt your performance and understanding of it all.  
  • You will want to study up on AdWords Best Practices and compare the info to your account structure. Keep connected to this and learn all that you can. Never stop learning about AdWords or you will waste a lot of money and lose valuable time. The train never stops!

I hope this helps and please do let us know what you discover.

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply and for the tips. I have 94 ad groups, 484 keywords, and 282 ads in the campaign. I searched for loss impression IS and found rank but could not find the budget option in there, it seems I am missing several of those options from screen shots I have seen.

The loss impression IS (rank) is terrible, >90 on most of them, I am wondering if the budget is playing a role in this and I would like to view the IS budget, do you have any ideas as to why this isn't showing? The campaign hasn't been running long enough to establish much data since it isn't getting many impressions and the quality scores are suffering because of it I think. It seems like a negative feedback loop that I am trying to find a work around for, the key word budget suggestions go from $90 down to $1 for first page impressions, so I would have though at least some of these keywords would be showing up with the max budget cpc set to $25 and the maximized clicks running.

On the other points, the negative keywords I am using seem like they should be alright, they have very little to do with possible searches and exclude things like "free" and "pro bono". The targeted market should be set to everyone however I haven't checked this yet, I will look into it. I was playing around with the diagnostic tool, some were running without problems while others mentioned budget issues and I believe other ads were preferred in the ad group, I am not running the campaign on the weekend so it does not show up right now.

I imagine having an unlimited budget would nice but that isn't in the cards right now, even so I would have thought the cheaper keywords would be firing impressions off at the very least.

Any help and thoughts is appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Logan L,

You are very welcome. 

The Search Lost IS (bugdet) is located in the same place that the Search Lost IS (rank) is. There are also the same elements for Display. Once you add them, if they do not show data you will have to wait for the system to calculate it. 

Having an unlimited budget is not needed or a part of your situation since you are not drinking all of the budget now. Until you do, you simply need more performance... which will then lead to needing more budget... and more budget. 

I think there is something minor, much like a needle in the haystack, situation at play. I say this since you state you hired a professional to create all of this. It could be that they overlooked something or that they have a setting somewhere purposely limiting performance so you would get low performance and come back to them for help. They would then get performance and you would feel dependent on them for the life of AdWords. Please note I merely state these as possibles and have no clue if that hold true in your case (but I have seen these happen before).

It could take us days and days of going back and forth in posts to isolate the issue, especially since the account is structured with that many ad groups and keywords. I will say that if you are offering legal services locally, you do not need such a complex setup.... whereas if you are offering a professional service on the national or international level, you certainly would.  

We are not able to access accounts here so there is a lot of unknown elements to us here. Because of this, I would suggest call AdWords Support on Monday morning and asking them to review the account. Call 1-866-246-6453 Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (EST).

Of course, we are happy to assist here by thinking through the process and having you dig into the AdWords Best Practices info, but I am considered for your time & money and the level of frustrations that can come from this process. It could be that you are simply overlooking something from being new to AdWords or fatigued with this issue... which will make the journey infinitely impossible to isolate. AdWords is an extremely complex system. 

I would also suggest creating one new test campaign with one ad group, three ads and 15 keywords (broad match). Think very simply and think as a consumer seeking the most common product/service you offer. Seek out the largest target and use the easiest weapon to hit it. Set the daily budget at $25 and use the column metrics I posted previously to target top of page placement with the keywords and use those as your bids. You should see performance within hours. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is a good idea, I may run a second small test campaign. The person that I had create the campaign seemed honest enough but I suppose you never know. I will give that number a call on Monday and see if they have anything interesting to say on it. Just a bit more info, I ended up finding the search loss IS (budget) under the campaign menu and overall the search loss IS (rank) is 80 and the (budget) is 0.

I am becoming a little more familiar with the software but I doubt I know enough to go hunting for what exactly is limiting the impressions to such a degree. If you have any suggestions on what common problems are and willing to share them for me to investigate I would appreciate it, I know these may be stabs in the dark however I can provide any info if needed. You were right in assuming the campaign is set up for legal services.

Re: New campaign, little to no impressions.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Logan L,

My agency manages accounts for attorneys so I recognized the terminology. Smiley Happy

Yes, the columns can be added to each of the dashboard topics. So you can add them for the campaign... and for keywords, etc.. 

Let's see...

You could go to each campaign and then click on the Settings tab. Verify that what is shown here is what you expect it to be. Also, you will see: View Change History, which you could go through (all the way back) and see if anything jumps out at you.  

And you could consider this info:

• Ad Rank determines your ad position -- where your ad shows on the page in relation to other ads -- and whether your ads are eligible to show at all.
  • The main components of your Ad Rank are your bids and the quality of your ads and website. We also incorporate the expected impact from your extensions and other ad formats when computing your Ad Rank. When estimating the expected impact of extensions and ad formats, we consider such factors as the relevance, clickthrough rates, and the prominence of the extensions or formats on the search results page. So even if your competition has higher bids than yours, you can still win a higher position at a lower price by using highly relevant keywords and ads.
  • Your Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear and competes in an auction, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

Review the "Exp. CTR" of each keyword. You would add this data through the Columns tab (like I mentioned previously). Columns/Modify columns/quality score/Exp. CTR.  This is one part of the equation. Next, you have to carefully analyse the rest of the components that makes up the ad rank, which play a very major role with the performance of your campaigns.

What happens when you go the Ads tab and look at the "status" column? Does it say approved and does it show a little bubble next to the status description? 

Basically, you should go through each tab that run horizontally across the top. Review each one very carefully and make sure they match what you would expect them to be. You know your business and what you want the advertising to do so apply that logic and verify it all matches. When you land on the Dimensions tab, spend some time there. Take a look at this expert article I wrote for Google Partners that discusses the Dimension tab. 

In the end, you could pause all campaigns for 12 hours and then enable them. We have seen this bring about drastic change with new accounts that would not spark. Just remember that there is a drop down menu (above the chart) that will say All campaigns or All enabled campaigns or All but removed campaigns. If this is set to "all enabled campaigns" and you pause them... when you come back the next day there will be no campaigns, which will set in some concern. Just change the drop down to "all" and then enable each one of the campaigns.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James, 

I will look into this and report my findings back, it will be a bit later tonight when I can do this. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Very welcome, sir. 

Happy hunting... and please do let us know what you discover. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @J Clemens,

I went through the check list you provided and these were the results.

1. Settings look fine (the target area is a smaller town in Florida, this area picked up plenty of traffic on express and shouldn't be an issue)

2. History looks fine

3. I don't see a measurement labeled ad rank, I am thinking this is some hidden ranking? The average position of the ads that have shown (33 in the last 4 days) totals 2.2 (sounds great to me) and the quality score ranges from 3-7, there are three that are at rank 3 from an optimized landing page while the others are in the 5-7 range however the vast majority are unranked from lack of exposure.

4. Exp. CTR is "below average" for the 12 that are ranked

5. All ads are labeled approved, a lot of ads have "another creative in this group is scheduled over this one" but the other ads in that ad group all have the same message for what ever reason (Could this be the problem?). Some ads say "Not eligible for lack of search volume" (I have seen some recommendations on pausing these), and all the others say "Not scheduled to run now" which is expected since the ad is set to run M-Th, during the run times these ads have a green message on them.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Logan L,

Nothing stands out as being the issue... and #4 and #5 could certainly bring a low level of activity for certain industries.

When you ran AdWords Express did you run the ads 24/7? 

You could try running the campaigns all the time and see if performance ramps up... then shut down a day at a time every few days and compare. It could be that the account is set up correctly, but the targeted town in Florida is small (I am in Panama City Beach, Florida), your scheduled hours are narrow, your topic is narrow and your account is new. Yet it could all be a fluke that will smooth out soon, too.

When in doubt with something complex, we need to simplify and get action and then layer back in the more complex elements. Run a test campaign or dial back the restrictions... try some things to poke the bear and wake him up.

Just so you know, Ad rank is not revealed to anyone... it simply equals the sum of all of those parts I posted previously. This is the just something you need to know and master to get the most from your AdWords campaigns.  

Kind Regards,

James