AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New ad rotation feedback?

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Anyone else already running reports and trying to determine the impact of removing the "even rotation" option from their campaigns?

I've run some preliminary reports and I have to admit that I'm confused. I definitely see Ad Groups where the ads are not being served evenly, but I can't figure out why the system is choosing the specific ad it's choosing to serve the bulk of the traffic on. They are not necessarily the ads with the best CTR or even the ads getting the most clicks. 

I may have to give it all another week before I decide--but I've already gone almost two weeks without changing ads and I'm starting to get worried that my clients' accounts are going to suffer while I try to figure this out.

Anyone else?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New ad rotation feedback?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Theresa,

Your guess is as good as any right now.  I haven't dug in too deep yet but recently, Tom Hale Jr. reported that a brand new account he had set to 'show evenly' was producing an 80/20 split...go figure.

If I find anything useful, I'll be sure to report back.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Theresa,

Your analysis is really good... very nice question...

Google has recently changed the ‘Rotate’ option of the ‘Ad rotation’ setting to rotate ads evenly for 30 days after an ad is enabled or edited, and then optimize for clicks.

Optimize for clicks (default) Ads expected to provide more clicks are delivered more often into the ad auction than other ads in the ad group. These higher-quality ads gain more impressions than other ads in the ad group, resulting in higher ad-served percentages. By using this option, your ad group will likely receive more impressions and clicks overall, since higher-quality ads attain better positions and attract more user attention.

Optimize for conversions Ads expected to provide more conversions are delivered more often into the ad auction than other ads in the ad group. This option optimizes for conversions, so it takes both clickthrough rate (CTR) and conversion rate into consideration. If there isn't enough conversion data to determine which ad will provide the most conversions, ads will rotate using "Optimize for clicks" data. Although this option may result in your ad group receiving fewer clicks than the previous option, it will likely receive more conversions, which can result in an improved return on investment (ROI).

Rotate evenly Delivers your ads more evenly into the ad auction for 30 days, then optimizes for clicks. Even though this setting is at the campaign level, the even rotation period is tracked separately for each ad group. It starts (and resets) for an ad group whenever the ads in that ad group change: specifically, when a new ad gets added, when an existing ad is changed, or when a paused/deleted ad is enabled. When the even rotation period ends and we optimize for clicks, the campaign setting will continue to say ‘Rotate evenly’.

The percentages of ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, they may not be exactly even because AdWords considers an ad’s Quality Score when ranking on a search result page and an ad with a high quality score may appear on the first page of search results where it accrues an impression every time it’s served vs an ad with a low Quality Score that appears on subsequent pages that only accrue impressions if the user clicks through to that page. Note that in general, rotating evenly allows ads with lower clickthrough rates and conversion rates to show more often, so this option could result in a lower average position or fewer clicks and conversions.

Note that for campaigns using the CPM bidding option, ads will continue to rotate more evenly beyond the 30 days.

For display network i want to suggest you Frequency capping it's nice feature of google adwords.

Hope that these will help you....

Regards

-Vicky

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I'm aware of the changes in ad rotation, thanks, Vicky, and I've read all that's been posted on the topic and more.

I was just sort of asking other advertisers if they had any personal opinions of the new settings to share.

(By the way, as I said in aother thread, if you want to repost large chunks of content from the Help Center, that's fine, but please do include a link back to the source material. Appreciate it!)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I found the same problem. Actually, in my campaigns, it was not even 80:20, it was 90:10. I put on some new ads in one campaign 4 days ago, and chose evenly rotation, but when i checked the results, it showed that one ad was served almost 90% of the time.

I'll definitely bring this question to my Google rep tomorrow. I loved the old evenly rotation feature, i thought it was a great feature to help figure out the most suitable ad, but now seems the function is changed.

I'll keep you posted on what Google has to say about this.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi AlexandraWei,

A small suggestion before asking Google.
1. When did the Ad got approved?
2. Check the campaign settings if that is enabled for "Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for 30 days, then optimise for clicks"
3. Check the date range you selected (Check the recent date range).

This feature is working fine for me.

Raghu

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have no problem with the points you mentioned. Actually, it worked in one group of the campaign, but not in the others. The thing is that i always used evenly rotation, and the ads were always evenly served before the feature was changed. I reported to Google rep already, let's see what they have to say.

Thanks!