Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New account w/ optimizations with old data

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi there!

My goal is to cover all ground without needing to spread the campaigns over various times just to be able to capture more of my goals. So here it is, as best as I can explain:

Old Strategy: Straight & only 1 landing page, bad attribution because clicks would spill into other properties that I have no control over. No extensions.

New Strategy: New landing page, part of a larger website that has supreme content and I have control over it. Will also be able to add sitelinks and other extensions.

Because of this, I'm copying the old account into a new one and changing the things I need to change. I've analyzed the old account and compressed most of the good results into the following - 

• Four days of the week are the best for landing page form conversions.
  • Each of these days have 5 prime hours of landing page form conversions.
  • These four days of the week are the best for calls (deduced from call tracking report, not adwords mobile click to calls)
  • I again have 5 prime hours of calls. (albeit, not the same hours as above - hence the problem)

Luckily, the days are the same. The hours are a off. 

For example:

Mondays website conversion times: 10,11,13,15,22

Mondays call times: 10,11,12,18,17

You can now see my dilemma. Due to low budget, I want to keep myself nimble where I get the optimal conversions (website submits, and calls). But the only way to do it is, either go over 5 hours per day.... or just ignore the non-overlapping hours potentially missing out on either type of conversion that is dear to my heart. I would love your help!

Any suggestions would be glad appreciated!

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: New account w/ optimizations with old data

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Mark,

Based on the fact that the new strategy, new landing page extensions and sitelinks. Your new account. campaign with have Different QS and Adrank then the prior account.

Therefor some of your "statistical performance" data is a bit skewed it's all based upon AD Ranks and QS from an non-optimized account where the CPC's could be high and the prior competition factors.

The new optimized account could have better QS, CPC and Ad rank, meaning your budget lasts longer and converts better.

Example 1:
Old account with Bad landing page, same keyword, same ad, same bid, no extensions, no sitelinks at 13, 15, 22 for web conversions may have had a Ad Rank of position 3.8 and your conversion data is based on a 3.8 ad rank

New account with better parameters the 13, 15, 22 may have a Ad rank position of 1.5 and the conversion data could be extremely better.,

Example 2:

Old data bad conversion because of Ad rank 3,2
new site the Ad ranks are 3.2 But the Landing page conversion rate is extremely better so the conversion data could be extremely better.

I think you would be shooting yourself in the foot, if you didn't allow at least one -two weeks of running the new strategy for a 8 hour period or longer , 10AM - 8PM(20) to see what the ad ranks, and conversion data will produce with a more optimized account.

You could still use Ad Scheduling to range your old conversion data time points, but restricting to just 5 hours would be limiting your potential. You can also you Bid Adjustments to reduce the CPC's later in the day in a test as well to see it that has any effects on conversions and CPCs.

Regardless, If you want to make true comparisons you will need to PULL QS and Ad Rank of all the old keywords in the Old account, to compare them to the new optimized account.

Also when just starting out, your Campaign will need some impressions and CTR to gain it's true QS and Ad rank. So the first week or so may also be somewhat skewed in comparison.

When making new account overhauls, you do glean from the old account from data perspective, but don't handcuff yourself, because the majority of your old Data points will no longer be in effect, and also there may be new competition in the market place that was not there prior. Also with the amount of changes in the last year to adwords itself, the data you are using is skewed as well.

Give yourself the best opportunity with the New Strategy and let the data of the new account determine the best courses of action. I would assume that in week 2 of the account, you will see conversions in those time slots in which you had not seen in the past just based upon a better landing page, better ad rank from extensions being added.

The true test will the be the QS, AD Rank and CPC's that lead to the conversions.

The main thing is TEST, TEST, TEST and let the new data make your decisions!!!! The old data is just a point of reference, not a Roadmap to success, or you wouldn't have changed it in the first place....

Good luck, keep me posted, very interested to see what you end up doing.

But use ad scheduling if you want to keep making assumptions based on the old parameters, and Ad Bid Adjustments to control the CPC for the times you deem lesser of the overlapping conversions time period.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Why are you opening a new account instead of setting a new campaign?.
My understanding is the performance on the "old" account were reasonably good. This history is now gone.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Hi Moshe,

Opening a new account with everything same as old account because there will be a completely new destination URL.

That's the only reason - except this time, I will add a lot of extensions as well.
Is that ok you think?

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Hi Eric,

Thank you as always for giving me super informative thoughts.

You raise a very good point about the old account not giving accurate optimization conclusions. The most important thing for me is I need to have results on day one and I remember when the old account came into production, it gave me amazing results for the first 2 weeks - and I built it from there on. I kept compressing the account to have maximum impact and hence I wanted to move it to a new one so I get that same maximum impact.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thus, just open a new campaign... You don't need a new account.....
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
What about new ad under same campaign? And pause old ads?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You'll have to set a new ad-group since: "one display URL per ad-group". (And the URL, in your case case has changed.)
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2999770?hl=en

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Ah I didn't know that!
Two adgroups even if I pause the old ads?

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner
Also, is there a way to mass-duplicate these ads? I tried doing these to Adwords Editor and it is asking me to create it within each ad group Smiley Frustrated