AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New Phrase and Exact match settings

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I've just been reading about the improvements that AdWords are going to be making to Phrase and Exact match in mid May and I was wondering if this means that any keywords I have running of misspellings at the moment should be paused once this comes into affect?

Does anyone have any recommendations on this?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Laura 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: New Phrase and Exact match settings

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Laura,
I would not recommend pausing any misspellings yet, not before ensuring that all misspelling targeted are being picked up by the new updates, I would recommend running a test to ensure that pausing any keywords doesnt effect the overall performance and any conversions achieved, if your happy with the results then you can begin to pause sets.
Thanks

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

Hope all is well!

This is a fantastic question and I have been thinking exactly the same myself. In my opinion there is now no need to have misspelt keywords unless they've built a fantastic quality score and are really cheap as this might help you compete with the competition. Competitors that have not been sponsoring misspelt terms are now going to be sponsoring them (without choice) however if you have already been sponsoring these terms and have a good history for them then you're likely to have a really good quality score and the ability to achieve a better position than the competition for cheaper.

What I'm going to do is weigh up all my quality scores for misspelt terms against the quality scores for the correctly spelt terms. If the correct spellings have a higher quality score then I will pause the misspelt keywords. If the misspelt keywords have a higher quality score then I will keep them running for now.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Luke

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Laura,
I would not recommend pausing any misspellings yet, not before ensuring that all misspelling targeted are being picked up by the new updates, I would recommend running a test to ensure that pausing any keywords doesnt effect the overall performance and any conversions achieved, if your happy with the results then you can begin to pause sets.
Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Laura,

Hope all is well!

This is a fantastic question and I have been thinking exactly the same myself. In my opinion there is now no need to have misspelt keywords unless they've built a fantastic quality score and are really cheap as this might help you compete with the competition. Competitors that have not been sponsoring misspelt terms are now going to be sponsoring them (without choice) however if you have already been sponsoring these terms and have a good history for them then you're likely to have a really good quality score and the ability to achieve a better position than the competition for cheaper.

What I'm going to do is weigh up all my quality scores for misspelt terms against the quality scores for the correctly spelt terms. If the correct spellings have a higher quality score then I will pause the misspelt keywords. If the misspelt keywords have a higher quality score then I will keep them running for now.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Luke

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is great advice! Thanks very much! Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in here...I'm already seeing these settings on my accounts.  Not sure if the changes are in place yet but the option to opt-in or out is currently available.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Well this is great timing for me - I've only recently created several ad groups dedicated to the singular variations of my important keywords! Smiley Frustrated

Speaking of which (since we're talking about the changes)... one argument for keeping a singular ad group going - and opting out of the new default setting - might be that the ad text in the singular group has probably been tailored for the singular version of the keyword rather than just plonked in - and as a previous contributor on here once remarked (Cobnut, I think it was), sometimes a product in its singular form might attract a very different type of customer than the product in its plural form, thus justifying a quite different approach to the ad text. (The obvious example is a consumer wanting a single product versus a business looking to buy in bulk.) Point being, the difference in text should probably be more than just sticking an 's' on the end. So when it comes to singulars/plurals, consider carefully whether it's really the best approach to let Google consolidate them.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

It looks like the option is available in our accounts as well, maybe the roll out happened early?

I also completely agree with swebber's comment. If you have an account where you you "highly optimize" singlular, plural, and misspellings of one, or a few specific terms, you can opt out of this option, an maintain your current successful approach. Well done again Google. Smiley Happy

I like having more options, and more control. Nice. Smiley Happy

Tom