Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New Campaign, Same KWs... Terrible CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have recently paused an old ad group that has been running for 3 or 4 years and recreated it in a new campaign of it's own and expanded out on the keywords.

The old ad group was using mostly broad match KWs with a huge list of negative KWs and was performing well. It had been neglected for some time, and was in a campaign with only vaguely related ad groups. So my thinking was to move it to a campaign of it's own, break up keyword variations into tightly focused ad groups to try and lower the CPC.

Long story short, the CTR on the new campaign is woeful. The new campaign is using the same ads, settings and landing pages as the old ad group and is actually getting 25% more impressions, but the CTR is down from around 1.5% to 0.3%.

At this point there are only Broad Match Modified, Phrase and Exact match KWs in the new campaign. The BBM KWs are getting a comparable number of impressions as the BM kws in the old ad group (ie shiny blue widgets has been replaced with +shiny +blue +widgets) but some of the higher volume words now have CTRs of 0.3% when they were previously over 3%.

It's not a disaster because I can always just reactivate the old ad group, but had planned similar work for other campaigns and would like to understand why this is happening.

The new campaign has been active for 10 days a the time of writing.

Any help would be appreciated! Robot Happy

Cheers,

Jeff

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New Campaign, Same KWs... Terrible CTR

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff,

This actually happens more than you would think. The first place to look is the Quality Scores of the keywords in both campaigns - it is likely that the new campaign has lower QS than the old one. If this is the case, you will likely then see that the average ad position is higher (in this case higher is worse) which means the ad is lower down in the results - which often leads to a drop off in clicks.

10 days is not a long time - although believe me, I know it feels like forever - especially when the budget is dwindling with no results. Give it a few more days - check the QS as I suggested as this will at least give you an idea of where the problem is coming from.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Jeff,

There will always be some fluctuation in performance when restructuring an account. If you know that the new structure is better (through experience for example and you are restructuring an old account) then I would definitely give it some time to settle down. Given the unknown of your exact traffic volume it could simply be that 10 days is not enough.

That being said there are a couple of things that you can double check. Your negatives are the first thing that comes to mind. You said the old campaign had an extensive list, have you carried this list over? It may be that the new campaign is getting alot of irrelevant traffic that you were previously filtering out.

If this is not the case I would definitely spend time studying the Search Query Report. You will easily be able to see there what is happening in the new campaign. Perhaps there is more 'cross pollination' between your ad groups than before and this may be detracting from relevant ads. You may also find that the restructure has allowed a whole new level of irrelevant traffic (although highly unlikely).

Either way the SQR is where you want to be spending a fair amount of time understanding what has happened.

Let me know if this helps or you notice anything else!

Good Luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Steve and Clynton for you quick replies.

I think it might be a waiting game for the next week or so to allow the SQR to accumulate some more data and then dig in to this a little more.

In regards to the average position, it has fallen, but only from 1.1 to 1.3 so as the ads are still largely in first position, this shouldn't be the problem. And the list of negative kws has been copied over to the new campaign without error.

It's hard to understand how a well performing ad shown in first position can accumulate 2000+ impressions and barely a click!

I'll give it some time and get in touch if I still need some help from you guys!

Cheers,

Jeff

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Just a couple of other thoughts - did you have any ad scheduling set on the original account that has not been copied? Run a segmentation for time of day and compare the two - is the distribution more or less the same? Getting impressions at 4am is not the same as 4pm....

Also - just check the delivery method are both set to the same - i.e. standard or accelerated?

Check the mobile bid adjustment if there is any - and check the geo targeting is the same.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Turn off Search Partners.

Search Partners is more like a display network these days.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I am going to disagree with MarkPhillipsIT.

Never make an assumption about your account. Search partners is something to look into but ensure that you do a thorough analysis before just turning anything off. Search partners may be a profitable portion of your account, and without doing an analysis you could end up hurting your account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jeff,

This is indeed quite difficult problem. As said, take a look at the search queries for the KW with a high numbers of impressions and a bad CTR. This can give you more insight in what the people were looking for when your ad was shown.
What I would do as well, is maybe experiment with new ads (you can make an A/B test). Although the test might have performed well before, due to your reorganization, it can be that you need to adjust the ads.

I would recommend you to also separate your campaigns by match type. This can be very helpful to have a better overview on each keyword and it is easier to find out where the biggest problems are.

http://www.ppchero.com/broad-modified-campaigns-and-exact-match-negatives/

Wish you good luck!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
In light of Clynton's post I would revise my post to say

"Consider turning off Search Partners.
Search Partners is more like a display network these days."

Search partners may be an unprofitable portion of your account, and without doing an analysis you could end up hurting your bank balance.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions... but also an apology as it seems I've wasted your time!

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've discovered the problem and it was that, somehow, I had changed the geo targeting to USA only rather than Australia. That's a first for me. We don't ship internationally so I've been wasting a fair amount of money over the last two weeks, but very happy to have discovered the problem.

Thanks again to those that offered help.

Cheers,

Jeff