1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New Best Practices: The Official Guide to Optimizing the Google Display Network

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager
It’s never been more important to tailor messages to the right people at the right moment as they engage in blogs, news sites and more across the web. This display best practices guide will help you deliver relevant ads and efficient results on the Google Display Network. It touches on topics such as reaching the right audience at the right moment, matching the message to the moment and optimizing for performance.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 12.25.05 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New Best Practices: The Official Guide to Optimizing the Google Display Network

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Have questions about Display advertising? Reply below!

Re: New Best Practices: The Official Guide to Optimizing the Google Display Network

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
1) Is it a good practice to show ads on mobile apps if you are promoting a website (Eg: Real Estate). I usually add adsenseformobileapps.com as a negative placements.

2) I usually use all 19 sizes of .jpeg banners and a copy of text ad in display network campaigns. Which ever targeting i use, more than 70% clicks are received from this one text ad most of the time. (Ad rotation : Rotate evenly, View able impression cap - 10 per day ). How can i tell Google to give more priority to image banners, and use text ads only when showing image is not allowed in a website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here is my setup so. The goal of this campaign is for conversions

1. Display Keywords ( 40 Not Too Specific But Yet Not To Broad Keywords )
2. 5 Broad Topics ( Ex: Shopping, News, Beauty and health ect... )
4. Budget Set at $25.00
5. CPC Set at .80 For Keyword
6. Topics are using ad group bid which is .80 ( Is that okay? I Guess i use custom bids on topics that are converting well as i get data ? )

Is their anything you would change?

Thanks

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

@Jithin C

1. This all comes down to testing. Many advertisers exclude mobile app placements if their goals are to drive conversions, phone calls, etc., but keep in mind that the mobile landscape is changing and people are spending more and more time in mobile apps. If you can find mobile apps that do bring you conversions, then go for it--but if not, it's okay to exclude them!

2. There's not currently a way to set a preference for your text or image ad to be shown more often. What you're describing sounds consistent with what I've seen in many accounts, since image ad placements tend to be more competitive (require a higher bid). If you want to force your image ads to show, you could test putting them in their own ad group and setting a slightly higher bid for them.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

@Steven J This sounds like a good set-up for a new Display campaign, but once you have data, I would definitely recommend that you start zeroing in on the most effective targeting for you. Some advertisers will actually segment their targeting types into different ad groups (Keywords in one, Topics in another, etc.) so that you get a clearer picture of what works for your business and what doesn't; then you can experiment with layering those most effective targeting types on top of one another (using Target and Bid targeting). So my main recommendation would be to use your conversion data to prioritize targeting that converts, and pause targeting that doesn't!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@CassieH So your saying i shouldn't layer my topics/keywords? I should actually bid separate?

Thanks

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi Steven,

Layering can be a really good method if you have a clear picture of your target audience, and if you are seeing good results with your current layering set-up, then you may have already struck upon some combinations that work well for you and you should definitely hang onto those! I was speaking about more often what I see in first Display campaigns--I think there's a tendency to use too many targeting methods set to "target and bid" all at once, and it can become difficult to get enough impressions or conversions to truly understand which targeting is working for you.

Does that make sense?
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Greetings,

I wanted simple targeting method for my Display campaigns and wasn't able to achive it. The targeting as follows - 1. some specific keywords 2. Three websites (big classified websites) for displaying my adds on (only on these sites).

The problem is when we set up keywords targeting, AdWords automaticly keeps adding a lot of websites in Placement targeting - but I want for my targeting only three specific websites there (plus my keywords as I don't want showling my ads on every page there) - i.e two layers. How can I achieve this simple targeting combination?

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for posting to the Community! A couple things here--first, you need to make sure you're setting up the keyword and placement targeting in the same ad group. Second (and this is where I suspect the issue is coming from), you need to make sure both the keyword and placement targeting methods are set to "Target and Bid." This will tell the system to layer the targeting methods. Here's what this will look like in your account:

large.png

And you can read more about Target and Bid vs. Bid Only in this article from the AdWords Team.

Hope this helps!
Cassie