Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New Adverts - Lower Positions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I commonly encounter an issue where when I introduce new adverts to test, they come in with significantly lower positions that my current adverts. I understand that my existing advert will have history behind it and a quality score associated with that, but in the past this has never been so much of a problem, I have been able to run ad tests fairly.

Now, sometimes from the same ad group I will have an average position of around 3 for an existing ad and then my new ad will start showing in position 6 or 7, this obviously means that CTR on the test ad will never pass the existing advert making testing impossible.

Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution / workaround? It's very frustrating knowing that any ad changes I make will commonly knock positions down and reduce my CTR.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: New Adverts - Lower Positions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Nastin,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

One of the reason which I could think of this could be the ad rotation settings in your campaigns. In case you have set it to Optimize for clicks, Adwords algorithm will try to enter the ad in the auction process, which has received good number of clicks and hence that ad will get more exposure. Same is the case with Optimize for conversions i.e. if your ad within the ad group has received god conversions, Adwords will show that more often compared to others.

In order to test the performance and come to some strategic decision, you can initially select Rotate evenly option, where your ads will be rotated evenly for 90 days and you can conclude which of your ad is doing well. You can refer to this article for more insights.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, thanks for the reply, and for the welcome!

I should have mentioned that I have the adverts set to rotate and so I would expect them to be served evenly.

I have attached a screenshot of the sort of behavoir I am referring to. For this ad group I introduced an advert test and the test advert instantly went in at average position 4.3 compared to 3.4 where the existing advert appears.

This almost guarantees the existing advert a higher click through rate and makes fair advert testing seemingly impossible. Even if I find better ad copy in a new advert it will not outperform the control ad as it is instantly punished by the ad words system for being new. Now granted, if I left it long enough this might not be an issue but I would lose so many clicks in the meantime this isn't an option.

I am surprised there isn't a little more on this issue. I worry about introducing new adverts just because I fear the drop in positions and loss of traffic from these, this goes against some of the main selling points of PPC i.e., fast changes & flexibiltiy etc.

Look forward to hearing if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Thanks,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again Nastin,

If I would have been in your situation, I would run the Ad Copy Report including segment keyword/placement for the time period I have tested my ads. Now based on this report, I will get the data how often which particular keyword was influential to trigger which ad for my ad group. 

Now as you know that the average position is based on auction process how relevant your keyword is with respect to the search query user has entered. Accordingly, Adwords algorithm decides what would be your ad position with reference to that particular keyword. This could one of the main reason why one of the ad position is low and another is high considering how often Adwords calculated your ad position in conjunction with the keyword you have.

Hope that makes sense!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

HI Nastin,

"Now granted, if I left it long enough this might not be an issue but I would lose so many clicks in the meantime this isn't an option."

Your diagnosis is correct. Since you can't afford the right approach - as an alternative to Pankaj's great suggestion - you may want to set up a separate campaign for the test. Set the daily budget to $6-10 and remember to set Ad rotation to Even and the Delivery method to Standard. That way the difference in Ad Position will diminish or be much smaller still you can accrue stats covering all the hours of the day. 

Best,

Lakatos