AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

New Account Startup: Ultimate Bidding Strategy?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am curious how other Adwords professionals look at this subject. As a rule of thumb for new accounts would it be better to either:

1. Start bidding right away what you can afford, even if that means relative high bids in highly competitive markets.

2. Start extremely low (5 cent bids), and slowly increase the bids to what you can afford.

Why I think option 2 is better:

A. So you can add negatives for non-relevant search terms (which you haven't thought of before)

B. Find out if there are any spelling errors in the keywords

C. Find out if the structure of the new account works, and correct use of negatives in case of multiple levels of campaigns/ad groups (of the same keyword subject)

For which goals?

- Filter & deal with this waste traffic in an early stage for low costs (which otherwise could cost you a lot of unnecessary spent Adwords money!)

- Find out what to pay for the desired Ad positions (and maybe find some gold mines: new unused, low costs keywords!).

What do you guys think? Thanks for the insights :-)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New Account Startup: Ultimate Bidding Strategy?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Erik M,

This sounds to be a good strategy, provided $.05 bids aren't too low for the vertical. You'll have to ensure a decent Impression share by bidding decently, to get results and then analyse/refine the traffic. 

There could be different approaches to this, based on the strategy, timelines and budget available. I'd go with automatic bidding initially, as AdWords system would try to get the maximum number of clicks for my budget. I'd then refine the traffic and use a bidding method either based on position or conversion data.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth

Thanks for your insight :-)

I think you are right to use automatic bidding in an early stage. You'll indeed get a higher impression share to make decicions. Do you think it is wise to combine this with very low campaign budget(s) (only a couple of dollars) to analyse/refine the traffic?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Well, it depends on the vertical. With a couple of dollars budget, you might getting a very few clicks or no clicks on expensive but highly relevant keywords if it is a competitive business. You can start with a couple of dollars but be sure to increase it if you don't see much traffic worth analyzing.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar