AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Netwrok URL Clean Up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have been using the Google Network for almost 3 years now. Part of that usage is cleaning up the whole campaign in terms of ads (removing those that do not translate to a click or a conversion) and networks. My question is related to the clean up of the networks- what I do is get data from the previous month and set a maximum cost per conversion. If cost per conversion will be beyond my set limit, i will remove that certain network.

Now, my fear -- is it enough to set a month long duration to decide which networks are relevant to me? Should I set a longer period? Anyone who has a recommendation on how to clean up my network list will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PracticalPinay

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Netwrok URL Clean Up

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello PracticalPinay,

I would suggest setting a longer period if possible. It's dependent on industry but there can be "trends" on a weekly, monthly or even yearly scale. Let's say you ran a network for the duration of March for example, weren't happy with the acquired results and therefore removed it. The concern is that March may be a poor month in general for your particular industry and you now miss out on April which is a period when sales pick up. 

This is obviously all speculation but I'm trying to make you aware that there is no fixed market when using Google AdWords. At the same time you have to take into consideration your budget and how long you can afford to run the ads without seeing the goals you want achieved. 

Regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi PracticalPinay,

I think that depends on which networks you are talking about. If you are talking about excluding web sites from the Display Network, which is how it sounds to me, you are on the right track.

I son't see anything wrong with a monthly cycle for this, or that you might be pulling the trigger too soon on certain sites do to seasonality and other factors. For a new campaign, I will review the automatic placements even daily for a while to get rid of the underperforming and unrelated sites. This is difficult because Google does not provide a complete list of all domains where your ad runs. Do the best you can. If you're not getting any clicks or just a few in a month and you have thousands of impressions, no amount of seasonable trends is going to make up for that. If the sites are on the bubble, give them a little more time. There's no hard and fast rule on this. Many times, after agonizingly analysing the data, I will make the decision based on intuition. I'm not suggesting you do this--sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't.

The key is to make your decision when the data is statistically significant. There is a formula for calculating that, but I won't go into higher math here (mostly because I've forgottent he formula a long time ago). For CTR, the significant factor is in the number of impressions. If you have thousands of impressions, that's plenty to make a decision.

For conversion rates it's more difficult, because you'll need enough conversions to meet the statistical significance test. Here you may need 100 clicks or more before getting an accurate prediction of how that site/keyword/ad etc will perform. One conversion out of 100 clicks does not necessarily mean you will convert 1% of 1000 clicks. It's just not enough data. In my particular niche, I'd have to wait for months and months to gather enough data to make any decisions. 

I didn't read all of This Article, but it has a downloadable spreadsheet to help you calculate statistic significance. That might help you in making your decisions.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello PracticalPinay,

I exclude placements that consuming only cost and did not convert at all in last 30 days. I prefer to compare these networks with last three months stats before marking decision of pausing particular placement.

I prefer to pause placements at adgroup level specially when i am excluding the main domain. If the particular domain is not converting in ALL adgroups and only receivng clicks then go ahead and exclude placements at campaign level.

Before pausing any particular placement i advice to check deeper url by clicking SEE URL LIST next to excluded placements list. This is best specially when placements are converting at high CPL.

I also prefer to pause placements that are only receving impressions and are not received even a single click in last 2 to 3 months. 

I prefer to exclude categories on the basis of last 3 months or all time stats. You can check this by clicking Exclusions>> campaign level exclusions>> Choose Exclude categories under Add Exclusions drop down. Now check mark non converting categories on the basis of stats and hit the save button. You can exlude error pages, profanity content, parked domains etc. But make sure consider stats before making any decision on excluding any category.

I consider non converting adcopies with less CTR as a underperforming adcopies.

I always set my target to make exclusions or pausing any placement & adcopies. for example: placements consumed $150 in last 30 days & received no conversion or may be Placements that received 1 converison @ $300 etc. 

I hope the above suggestions helps you!

Thanks,
Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much, Pete. Smiley Happy

PracticalPinay

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello, PracticalPinay.

What comes to mind when seeing your situation is Excel, pivot charts and trends. You can create a placement report containing all the placements, include cost per conversion, and make sure to include an extra segment (month for instance).

Once you get this data in Excel, you can use month for the axis, average cost per conversion for the values, and filter by placement.

You will be able to see, placement by placement, how the cost per conversion varied in this three years period. You'll also see seasonality, if any, and a general trend.

If need be, you can go even deeper, and download the same data again, segmented by week.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.