1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negatives to Improve CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In times gone by, I could rely on my Search Query Report (now called the Search Term Report) to find out terms that had generated impressions but not contributed any clicks. It was easy to add such unwanted terms as negatives and generally improve the CTR by removing unwanted attention.

Now though, the STR only shows terms that have had at least one click. This is of no use to me whatsoever in finding new negatives to improve the CTR, only to find ones for controlling unwanted clicks.

So my question is, what is the best way (if it is at all possible) to find out what terms are triggering my ads but not getting clicks, so that I can optimise around these terms?

Re: Negatives to Improve CTR

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian C,

It is not the case that only search queries with a click will be shown. The change you are referring to has added a threshold to the number of impressions required before showing up on the report. This in theory makes it easier to see the search queries that are actually having an effect on your account. I say in theory because I too prefer the old way.

If you try extending the date range of the data you are looking at you may find a few search queries that meet the threshold. Although I am beginning to believe that this threshold is independent of date range, as I am starting to see search queries with low impressions for the selected date range yet they are still appearing (as seen below). This indicates to me that the threshold is not dependant on date range, either that or Google has lowered it recently.

Another way that I have dealt with the reduction in information is to make my negatives more 'broad' so that they negate related terms to the unrelated search query that I do not want to show for.

See below for a screen shot of the SQR with queries that have not received any clicks.

SQR 0 clicks.PNG

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting. And thanks for the reply.

The campaign that is causing me hassle has only been running for a few weeks but has generated 50,000+ impressions for very little clicks. When I run the STR, I only see terms with clicks against them. It may be the case that I need to wait longer for more data to accrue in the system.

It was much simpler when the report simply showed all terms that had generated an impression!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Adrian,

It is possible that you simply may need to give it more time. I am not exactly sure what the threshold is, but I do know that the search queries have to be exact in order to be grouped together. As unlikely as it seems, it may be that you have got 50 000 unique queries.

My advice, just give it a bit of time and perhaps add a few 'common sense' negatives in the interim.

Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think you may be right.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated