5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative match type definition

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone send me a link to the definition of the negative match types?

What is the difference between broad negative, phrase negative and exact negative?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Negative match type definition

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Here's the keyword match type help article. Negative match types are included, but I'm struggling with a specific negative match type help doc.

Essentially broad match negatives wil exclude any search term that has any of those negative broad terms in any order. ex. -widgets would exclude 'widgets portland'.

Negative phrase excludes any queries in that order. Ex. -"widgets Portland" would exclude 'widgets portland', but not 'portland widgets'.

Negative exact will only exclude that exact term, in that exact order. Ex. -[widgets portland] would exclude 'widgets portland' and nothing else.

Was that at all helpful?

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

I think this artile should help you

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keyword-Match-Types-for-Search-Campaigns/t...

Basically other than BMM everything works in negative

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,

It's exactly what I was looking for!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

while a lot of the info offered above is helpful, a very important note to make is:

According to Google's latest help -- Broad Match singular NEGATIVE keywords will not automatically trigger plurals and vice versa. This is different than the behavior of Broad Match keywords, and as such, is confusing.

"To add broad-matched negative keywords, you'll need to add the plural version of these keywords in addition to the singular version, such as "wine" and "wines.""

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of any follow-on questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!