Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative kws with symbols

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello people,

I need to block some words that end with "+" symbol. This negative kw should be used for a group that has positive keywords without +, and I have another ad group that has keywords with +. I am not sure if AdWords recognises "+" at the end of the word. Does anyone knows if I am blocking positive words (even though I am not getting kw conflict alert)?

Tnx for the answer!

Best regards,
Lazar

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative kws with symbols

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lazar,

I think it would help if you provided an example, but I think I can answer your question.

While Google uses the + symbol as a modified broad match type anchor for positive KWs, it does not use it at the end of keywords OR for negative keyword match types.

In either case, the match type of the negative keyword you add will dictate what it blocks. So for example:

keyword+        broad negative will block any query that has keyword+  

key word+       broad negative will block any query that has key or word+

key word +      broad negative will block any query that has key or word or + (this is the one you want to avoid)

keyword+        phrase negative will block any query that has keyword+  

key word+       phrase negative will block any query that has key word+ in that order, together

key word +      phrase negative will block any query that has key word + that order, together

keyword+        exact negative will block any query that is keyword+ exactly

key word+       exact negative will block any query that is key word+ exactly

key word +      exact negative will block any query that is key word + exactly

More info here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope this helps!
Leeza

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lazar Ž
September 2015

Re: Negative kws with symbols

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Lazar Ž;

The system ignores the +  (and other special characters) when matching the  search query to a keyword. Thus, adding a  + as part of the keyword (whether at at the end or between two words) is redundant.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’