Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering how often Google updates its searches based on keywords updates. More specifically, I've been adding keywords to the 'negative keyword' list but those keywords are still triggering the ads in the respective campaigns. Is there  way to make sure this does not happen anymore?

A more specific, but related question: if one of our keywords is 'app marketing' is there a way to restrict searches such that it allows broad searches related to 'app marketing' but disallows searches of 'app market' or similar searches? Haven't figure out how to do this without manually removing (i.e. adding them to the negative keywords list)?

Many thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

APPPLI,

Did you know that you can add negative keyword in different match types?  i.e. -[app market].  This will allow you to still gain traffic with the broad match or phrase match keywords but just avoid specific search terms.

Questions welcome.

Kim

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Re: Negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I am having the same problem as well. The negative keywords I added are still triggering the ads. Not much use if the exact words I add to prevent the add from showing, still trigger the ad.

Is there any delay between adding the negative keywords and when they go into affect.