Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,  

Please I need an advice about negative keywords.

I don’t know if it makes sense but I was wondering if what I think it is right or not.

I’m running a campaign using Phrase and Exact Match Type, of course into different AdGroups, and in order to get a better CTR I was wondering if I should add, as negative keyword, all my Exact keywords within the Phrase AdGroups.

Does it make sense for you or it is not the right way to think?

Thank you in advance .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Filippo M
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Filippo

IMO, its the best technique to prevent miss triggering between the two same keywords of different match types. Just to make it more clear, as you have said that you have two ad groups with same keywords in different match types :-

Ad Group 1: [ red shoes]
Ad Group 2 : "red shoes"

Now if a user search a query red shoes then both the keywords are eligible to show an ad, but the keyword with higher ad rank will be given preference to show its ad. This is leading to competing of your own keywords for a same search query and may result in higher CPC.
So I suggest that you must add exact match negative keywords in phrase match ad groups.

Abhishek

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Filippo,

IMO, answer is "NO", i won't suggest. As per my understanding Exact Matches match only the exact term you are using. Adding negative keywords is kind of pointless with exact match type. But you may add one or two particular words which you don't want to see.

My 2 cents!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kandarp,
thank you for the response; I've already added different negative keywords at Campaign and AdGroups level but I was thinking about my Exact Match keywords.
I've launched my Campaign 2 weeks ago and I need more data. I've not a great daily budget to spend so I have to keep optimize my campaign.
Thank you again Kandarp and have a good day to everyone :-)
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Filippo M
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Filippo

IMO, its the best technique to prevent miss triggering between the two same keywords of different match types. Just to make it more clear, as you have said that you have two ad groups with same keywords in different match types :-

Ad Group 1: [ red shoes]
Ad Group 2 : "red shoes"

Now if a user search a query red shoes then both the keywords are eligible to show an ad, but the keyword with higher ad rank will be given preference to show its ad. This is leading to competing of your own keywords for a same search query and may result in higher CPC.
So I suggest that you must add exact match negative keywords in phrase match ad groups.

Abhishek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Abhishek,
You get what I mean and I've just added them as negative kws.
I will let you know how my campaign will performance.
Thank you very very much and enjoy your day :-)

Filippo

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I think, if you have assigned match types correctly, then you don't need to worry about it. The google Adwords  mechanism will make sure that you get most & best out of it. It's good to run a search query report on a regular basis, it offers an idea about negative keywords which triggered your ad impression.

Filippo M wrote:

Hi everyone,  

Please I need an advice about negative keywords.

I don’t know if it makes sense but I was wondering if what I think it is right or not.

I’m running a campaign using Phrase and Exact Match Type, of course into different AdGroups, and in order to get a better CTR I was wondering if I should add, as negative keyword, all my Exact keywords within the Phrase AdGroups.

Does it make sense for you or it is not the right way to think?

Thank you in advance .

But in case of keywords with phrase match types, add keywords apart from those in exact match type. I would suggest to add negative keywords on adgroup level. It helps a lot & can possibly save a good amount for your client.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@AbhiShek S
I have created an adgroup Today with a phrase match keywords and then added same kw as exact negative in that same adgroup. The ads are not showing due to negative kw! Am I doing something wrong or this technique is not working anymore?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just remove that keyword from negative keyword list. As you have assigned phrase match, the ads for this keyword will be triggered ONLY IF there is some search query with some word as an suffix or prefix to you keyword (with phrase match)

e.g. lets say your keyword with phrase match type is "formal shoes" then your ad will be triggered for search queries like

==> buy formal shoes on ebay"
==> black formal shoes in foreign
=> brown formal shoes & socks
Here, in these search the keyword "FORMAL SHOES" is with prefixes 'buy, black & brown' are prefix & suffixes 'ebay, foreign & socks' that's why keyword was triggered

but in case, you have added term 'sports' or 'designer' as negative then ads wont be triggered. Also even if order of words within keyword is not allowed.

Hope this helps.

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, in order to remove sensitive information. This is done to protect privacy and account security.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Matthew,

Do you have a separate ad group with only exact match keywords?

Typically advertisers structure their campaigns in one of two ways:

1. Separating match types by ad groups and/or campaigns. In this instance, you would add phrase match negatives to the broad ad groups, exact match negatives to the phrase ad groups.  These negatives are using to make sure that queries map to the right match type. Note: If you add exact match negatives to phrase ad groups but you don't have ad groups targeting exact match terms, then you will lose all of that traffic.
  1. All match types in the same ad group. (in this instance, you don't add negatives for mapping purposes, only negatives to block irrelevant traffic.)

Sometimes keywords show false errors. That is, if you have separate ad groups for exact, phrase, and broad and then you add exact match negatives to phrase & broad ad groups, the broad & phrase keywords may say that they are not showing but they actually will be getting impressions. Are your phrase match kw getting impressions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

tnx