Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords triggering ads?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone, after reading many threads and contributing to a couple, I decided to post my first question; I hope you can offer some guidance.

I have a campaign in where I have configured the following negative keywords at the ad group and campaign level:

Ad group level

+all +inclusive

"all inclusive"

inclusive

-

Campaign level

+all +inclusive

"all inclusive"

What I want to do is prevent my resort ad from showing in any "all inclusive" related searches, since the resort is not all inclusive. However, after looking at the search term report I see the following matches/clicks:

st martin resorts all inclusive - this keyword appears with the label "EXCLUDED", but it has registered 6 clicks?

all inclusive resorts

all inclusive vacations

best all inclusive hotels

My question is: why am I getting all inclusive matches/clicks after I defined the previous negative keywords?

Did I configured them incorrectly? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camilo Olea
September 2015

Re: Negative keywords triggering ads?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Camilo, welcome to your first post!

As Structured PPC has suggested, Modified Broad Matches aren't really necessary in Negatives since "Simple" Broad Matches do all that's necessary.  For example, to exclude the terms you've mentioned, you would only need to use the single simple broad match of inclusive.

For those terms where it looks like the negative has been ignored, I'd guess these searches were made before the negative terms were applied.  If not, then the problem may have been in the way they were entered.

Try using just the single word inclusive as a negative, then look at the search report a couple of days later, making sure you choose a time period after you entered this word as a negative.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Camilo,

When you are looking at the reports and you get a keyword with impressions and clicks and a note "EXCLUDED", that means you have selected a date range prior to when the negative keyword was added. The clicks and impressions should be only from the period prior to adding the negative keyword.

Set your date range to after the date when the negative keyword was added and those impressions and clicks should disappear.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, please add the keyword all inclusive - broad match to your negative keyword list.
Note: negative keywords doesn't support broad modified keywords. For ex: +all +inclusive.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Camilo, welcome to your first post!

As Structured PPC has suggested, Modified Broad Matches aren't really necessary in Negatives since "Simple" Broad Matches do all that's necessary.  For example, to exclude the terms you've mentioned, you would only need to use the single simple broad match of inclusive.

For those terms where it looks like the negative has been ignored, I'd guess these searches were made before the negative terms were applied.  If not, then the problem may have been in the way they were entered.

Try using just the single word inclusive as a negative, then look at the search report a couple of days later, making sure you choose a time period after you entered this word as a negative.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the info! Best regards.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you so much for the detailed info, Jon! Will do as you say and report back later. Best regards from Cancun.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I wonder what happens when a user's search term includes the word "inclusive" multiple times or he uses capitalisation in the search term. Does a negative word cancel all the instances ?

What happens if he changes his negative words in phrase match, even the single word negative keywords ? Wouldn't this be an improvement ?

There are also exceptions when the string is longer than 10 words, the negatives do not affect the words written after the number 11 .

They provide an example here

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

"We still might show your ad when someone searches for a phrase that's longer than 10 words and your negative keyword follows that 10th word. Let's say your negative keyword is "discount." Your ad can show when someone searches for "nice clean hotel rooms in Los Angeles close to beach discount" because your negative keyword is the 11th word in the phrase. On the other hand, we won't show your ad when someone searches for "nice clean hotel rooms in Los Angeles beach views discount" because your negative keyword is the 10th word in the phrase."

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
+Cobnut Hi Jon, turns out the broad negative "inclusive" was already in the negatives lists... I just deleted some negatives and will monitor the search terms report in a few days to see if the ad is still triggering for "all inclusive". Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Camilo,

When you are looking at the reports and you get a keyword with impressions and clicks and a note "EXCLUDED", that means you have selected a date range prior to when the negative keyword was added. The clicks and impressions should be only from the period prior to adding the negative keyword.

Set your date range to after the date when the negative keyword was added and those impressions and clicks should disappear.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords