2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keywords ignored?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have a negative keyword list for my campaign. The list contains terms like:

cheap

+cheap

offer

+offer

When I look for the search terms used to trigger my adds, I still see phrases like: 

"cheap perfumes"

"perfume offers"

What am I doing wrong?

Re: Negative keywords ignored?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Javier S,

You can definitely delete all the negative keywords with "+" symbol, because there is no such thing as negative modified broad match.

Then "perfumes offers" is obvious because you only have negative keyword "offer" and this keyword only block search queries that contains exactly the word "offer". So I recommend you to use both singular and plural versions of keywords.

About "cheap perfumes" it is still mystery for me.
You said list that means you're using negative keywords list from shared library?
In that case I know there has been some cases in the past and people were having similar problems like you and probably there might be something wrong with these lists.

Or you have the wrong time range set. Maybe you added this negative keyword after your campaign was active for some time, but you were checking search queries for the entire time of your campaign?

Next are you sure you have both "+cheap" and "cheap" and not only "+cheap" keyword?
In this case it just might not work because of redundant plus symbol.

Also check for misspellings in search query. If it was not exactly "cheap perfumes", but just something like "chaep perfumes" it would also not block this search query for you only have negative keyword "cheap" in your list.

Alex

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Alex,

Thank you for the tip about the + symbol and the plural. This will make the list more efficient.

Anyway, I am sure about the other negative keyword. Do you think it will be safer if i use a specific list of negative keywords for the campaign instead of the list in the shared library?

Also, in case of one word terms, what would be the difference with using "cheap" instead of cheap as negative keywords?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Definitely try to add these negative keywords to campaign level negative keywords and you'll see whether it will help or not. Then we will be either sure about the cause of your problem or we can focus on something else.

About one word terms. There's no difference between one word negative keywords in phrase and broad match. But 2 words and more and these two match types are no longer the same.

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Alex. I will monitor the list for a while and see if it makes any difference having the keywords as a campaign level list.