AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keyword were you used to have the same keyword as positive?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your time. (I couldn't find a specific answer in the forum)

My situation is that I was assigned an account which grew in time but with no strategy behind. 

I started re-organizing the ad groups but I find myself with the problem that my top converting keyword is in an ad group with broad, phrase and broad modified keywords. My idea is to have an specific ad group for this keyword in exact match so I could have more control over it and leave the old ad group with the other match types. 

My question is: If I create a new ad group with this keyword in exact, I would have to add the exact negative in my old ad group. BUT as my keyword is there, Adwords won't let me even if it's paused, it will only work if the keyword is removed. I'm not sure of doing this because this is a keyword with a lot of history and removing it makes it impossible to come back in case my strategy doesn't work.

So my first question is how you deal with adding a negative keyword to an ad group were you used to have the same keyword as positive?

I also though of doing the other way around and leaving my exact match type in the old group and move all the others to a new one. 

What would you suggest to do in this case to make it the less risky?

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniela P
September 2015

Re: Negative keyword were you used to have the same keyword as positi

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

No, you cannot do like that. Reason is fairly simple and as you get the message, you cannot exclude something when you actually have it as a keyword.

You will have to take a decision here by first identifying which keyword matches gave you best ROI in ad group 1. Based on that pause the ones that haven't been successful there and relaunch them in ad group 2. Doing this would actually help you see whether ROI improves when you split the same keywords across different ad groups in different match types or not.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

What challenge you are facing while adding the keyword as negative in existing ad group? I believe what you are saying is that you want to add the exact match type as negative in an ad group where you have similar keyword in other match types. I don't think it should be a problem here.

Why don't you create a separate ad group with exact match type keyword and try to analyse how it behaves.

I would also like you to read this help center doc explaining how similar keywords are matched to search terms:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en&vid=1-635767930488140009-3833650337

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks fro you reply.

The structure is like this:

Ad group "A" (old)
keyword one
+keyword +one

"keyword one"
[keyword one]

Ad Group "B" (new)

[keyword one] 

If I pause [keyword one] in Ad Group "A", the result is Ad Group one still taking the impression with any of the other 3 keyword matches. This is why I need to add [keyword one] as negative in the Ad Group "A" - When I do so, a message saying: You cannot exclude Keywords that are targeted.  

The only way to add the same match type in negative to an ad group where you at some point had that keyword in positive (even if now it's paused) is to delete/remove it, but I was trying to avoid removing it in case I want to go back to my previous structure. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniela P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

No, you cannot do like that. Reason is fairly simple and as you get the message, you cannot exclude something when you actually have it as a keyword.

You will have to take a decision here by first identifying which keyword matches gave you best ROI in ad group 1. Based on that pause the ones that haven't been successful there and relaunch them in ad group 2. Doing this would actually help you see whether ROI improves when you split the same keywords across different ad groups in different match types or not.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj