Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative keyword list with all exact keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I got a recommendation to take all my exact eligible keywords, and add them as negatives to all my broad and phrase match type ad groups (I separate ad groups by match type for each theme).

This way my phrase and broad KWs won't trigger instead of the exact match, and I will have more accurate knowledge of which KW is getting clicks and conversions.

My question is this:

If I create a campaign level negative KW list (with all my exacts) and add it to all my campaigns - this will conflict with my positive exacts, right?

Is there another way to get this done?

Thanks

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative keyword list with all exact keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

If I create a campaign level negative KW list (with all my exacts) and add it to all my campaigns - this will conflict with my positive exacts, right?

Right. Don't do that. Smiley Happy

Is there another way to get this done?

What you need is Ad Group level negative keywords, not campaign level. You need to add your negatives at the Ad Group level  which can't be done with the campaign-level library tools, no. If you work with AdWords Editor, it's pretty easy to create & import such a list. If you don't, then I think you're probably going to have to do this manually--going into each Ad Group where you want to add negatives and adding them.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theresa Smiley Happy

I thought I might be missing a quick way round this. I do use Adwords editor, so I'll just import as you suggested.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I was wondering why you would take this approach at all?  What is the benefit?

Usually, the keyword with most restrictive match type OR a  keyword with higher ad rank wins. Since, the common strategy is to bid the highest on exact match, lower on phrase match, and the lowest on broad match - the exact match should trigger the ad in most cases. (Though, there are some exceptions.)

And you could see which keyword triggered the ad by using the search query report.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Moshe,

I agree with your strategy of bidding higher for exact match keywords over broad/BMM but the strategy that is mentioned above is something even I have had to use earlier....

The broad KWs sometime just outperform the exact and phrase for no reason!

I had to isolate the broad matched keyword and negate the exact match keywords from tat campaign. the broad Kw used to spend the most and get the most conversions, but the CPA used to be extremely high. by isolating it in another campaign, I managed to dedicate a budget for it separately. It also gave a chance for the Phrase and exact match keywords to get some impressions and bring down my overall CPA.

So I think this strategy is just performance based. It may or may not work. Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Shweta - that's exactly why I'm doing this.
I read quite a lot about match types, and thought that Google always prefers the 'higher' match type. But as a Google representative told me - this often doesn't happen, and I prefer having better control over which KWs are showing what...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Shweta!!!

Long time!!! Great to have you back!!! :smileyhappy:

Very interesting approach...

@PPCe; Are your broad match keywords outperform exact match?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I've seen it happen a couple of times without a logical explanation, but mostly it's because of bid changes (which makes sense I guess).
For example, if I lower the bid for an exact KW with a high CPA, but don't add that KW as a negative to the other match type ad groups, it may be triggered next time by a similar BMM/phrase KW (if I haven't lowered the bid there too). I think adding the exacts as negatives makes sure your KW is triggered only when you want it to.
Not sure it's worth the effort, but I'll give it a try Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey MoshTLV,

We had this same discussion last week on another thread. There is a real difference between what the system should do and what it actually does.

It is absolutely possible for the broad match to have a higher AdRank than the same keyword in phrase or exact match. And, all of the documentation assumes you will bid higher on the more restrictive match types for the same keyword, as did the developers. To keep this from happening, particularly when you have split AdGroups or even campaigns based on match type, negative keywords for the other match types not in the AdGroup are essential.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Pete;

Indeed this is a kind of follow-up to the discussion, we had last week;

Let me try to outline my thinking;

>> "It is absolutely possible for the broad match to have a higher AdRank than the same keyword in phrase or exact match. And, all of the documentation assumes you will bid higher on the more restrictive match types...." - I agree. We discussed that in-depth last week;

>> " To keep this from happening, particularly when you have split AdGroups or even campaigns based on match type, negative keywords for the other match types not in the AdGroup are essential". - I also agree

I checked one of my "niche" campaigns, for an engineering product, in which most of the clicks are triggered by broad match keyword. (Synonym engineering terms of the keyword). I do keep in this campaign exact match keywords. Though exact match triggers fewer impressions, when the ad is clicked, the CTR is high. (50 clicks over 500 imprisons is a CTR of 10%). I keep these exact match keywords in the same ad-group with the broad mach keywords.

The Question that remains:

Aside from the specific case Shweta described, in which she took this approach due to high CPA, and apart of trying to improve (somewhat) the overall account performance, what is the benefit of using this strategy? - I found this to be a quite "troublesome" in keeping track of all negative keywords, while not much added value to campaign performance (compared to the classic/ common strategy).

-Moshe