Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Phrase Terms

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a situation where I want to apply negatives for word "seat" as in "seat covers" "seatcovers"

Users input search terms such as 

1965 oldsmobile 442seat covers

1969 dodgecoronet500seatcovers

you get the idea - lots of search term words smushed together, randomly.  

Negative Phrase term "seat covers" AND "seatcovers" will NOT work in this situation?  it doesn't seem to be.

1965 oldsmobile 442seat covers

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Phrase Terms

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello PPCBUILDERS;

Hmm...if I got you correctly a partial word cannot serve as a keyword (similar to the *WORD in windows). But seeing your case, that is a feature / option the guy at Google should think of. (Using asterisk to represent a prefix set of characters.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Somehow I think the wildcard will never show up, but a perhaps a new match type - string?  I don't know what you would call it, but controlling for "seat cover" within the search term -  iwanttobyachevyimpalaseatcover - isamajorpaininthea$$.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

A nice ice idea for a new match: "string match" .

I will refer to this discussion, the next time Google asks for new ideas for improvements.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I'd be willing to bet they'll scream and run for the hills (or the Mountain, in their case).

Wildcard text comparisons are hideously processor intensive when your list of searchable terms gets long - I can only imagine how hard it would be to use wildcards as negatives against search terms flying into Google at the rate of millions per hour.

Maybe I'm being a pessimist but I think the load would be impossible (for now).

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

>> Wildcard text comparisons are hideously processor intensive

That's probably the main reason why we'll never see this functionality in Adwords. Although, you can use wildcards in the search engine...

But how many advertisers would use a wildcard in negatives? My guess is the percentage would be very small.

Also to take into account, how many searches does that affect? How many type the search "dodgecoronet500seatcovers" without spaces? What is the percentage of such searches? My guess is very small it's just not worth it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Was the wildcard ever implemented in negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
no wildcards
Regards, Doug
LinkedIn