AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Phrase Keywords without Stemming?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have some ads set to run on certain keywords, all of which are phrase matches including the word 'marketing', however, I don't want to run the ad for any search that has the word 'market'. As I understand it, phrase matches include stemmings (market and marketing would show up). Is there any way to get rid of the 'market' searches without a negative exact keyword for every possible iteration of 'market' that gets searched?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adam,

You can add market in negative as broad. Any term that has market will be blocked. Close variants only works for keywords that you target. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Neha,

Thanks for the reply.

Just so I'm completely clear, close variants only work what I'm targeting (positive keywords) but those variants are not included in negatives? So if I set a negative broad keyword of "market" I would not filter out searches including "marketing"? But it would filter out things like "market price", "world market", etc?

Thanks

Re: Negative Phrase Keywords without Stemming

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's correct!
--
Sent from my Phone
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Not only that, misspellings are not covered in negatives. They each need to be added individually if they are a problem.

Also, in this particular case, I would expect that Google understands that marketing and market are not closely related. Use the keyword planner to see if Google gives different estimates for each.